More active used market due to supply chain issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For sure harder to find tanks.. you can still find deals, but they're not plentiful like they used to be. Usually for me the deals are an older diver getting out of it and really doesn't know what the market is doing.

It might be a good thing for me... I need to stop buying crap:) Better yet, take @Eric Sedletzky advice and sell some stuff off!
I went through my spares boxes over the weekend and posted a few things. A buddy also called dibs on my O2 analyzer after I got a Trimix one last year and someone else took a LX20 off my hands after I got a can light last month.

I went through my spares boxes over the weekend and posted a few things. A buddy also called dibs on my O2 analyzer after I got a Trimix one last year and someone else took a LX20 off my hands after I got a can light last month.
The problem is I think most of my crap is more dump worthy than sell worthy, lol... finding deals usually means someone throws a bunch of stuff in for free just to get rid of it... I need to sort through it, but lots just needs to go to the dump.

It may ease gear hoarding if people know they can get decent money for their used gear.
It used to be that people hung onto extra gear for sentimental reasons or because it was basically worthless and not worth the time boxing up and shipping, but now?
And, the new gear that is available is increasing in price drastically. I hear Aqualung for instance is hiking prices on new gear almost 20%.

Yeah but it depends on what the gear being hoarded is. Brightly colored recreational gear from the 80s with dried out, stiff wetsuits? Nope. The crap I see on Craigslist locally is funny.

Silicone zip seals for my DUI drysuit have gone up by $10 since the fall.
DUI had a pretty dramatic price increase first of the year.

How much percentage wise?
It kind of varies. Small dealers will see close to 20% as they implemented tiered pricing this year as well.

It kind of varies. Small dealers will see close to 20% as they implemented tiered pricing this year as well.

So the lower volume dealers will have to pay more? Nothing like penalizing small shops and possibly driving people away from local shops to large online dealers.

The cost of shipping has made it cheaper for more stuff to go into the trash,tanks are a good investment for the most part but shipping those is pretty much out of the question.

So the lower volume dealers will have to pay more? Nothing like penalizing small shops and possibly driving people away from local shops to large online dealers.

YOU nailed the problem right on. This is one of the biggest issues for me when I was a dive shop in NY and dealer for the big brands. The huge dealers had a huge discount so huge that they can sell at my "dealer's" price and still make a huge profit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom