More active used market due to supply chain issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are you seeing a more active used scuba gear market due to supply chain issues and new stuff not really available?

I’m seeing tanks go for stupid money even though it’s the dead of winter here. $350 *each* for used HP100/LP85. Used Shearwaters (Perdix/Peregrine) are snapped up lickety split.

That’s the whole point. People can’t get new at all so they’re paying stupid money for used.

For every second hand buyer there is a second hand seller. No new production so recycling. I thought that was something to be encouraged.

Tanks mostly. But even before covid those tanks held 80% of their value

Not just scuba gear, any 2nd hand 4X4 vehicle is snapped up at stupid prices here, due to supply issues.

I have noticed it. Used tanks are selling for 60% more than three years ago. I'm not complaining as someone who sells hundreds of used tanks every year.

It may ease gear hoarding if people know they can get decent money for their used gear.
It used to be that people hung onto extra gear for sentimental reasons or because it was basically worthless and not worth the time boxing up and shipping, but now?
And, the new gear that is available is increasing in price drastically. I hear Aqualung for instance is hiking prices on new gear almost 20%.

Silicone zip seals for my DUI drysuit have gone up by $10 since the fall.

For sure harder to find tanks.. you can still find deals, but they're not plentiful like they used to be. Usually for me the deals are an older diver getting out of it and really doesn't know what the market is doing.

It might be a good thing for me... I need to stop buying crap:) Better yet, take @Eric Sedletzky advice and sell some stuff off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom