Moral of the story, hydro your tanks even if you don't plan to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you follow PST procedures for galvanized tanks that requires pressuring them to a pressure below test pressure than releasing the pressure and than repressuring to test pressure. Failure to follow PST procedure can result in failing a good tank.

I'm aware of the pre-test and do it for every steel tank. They are filled to 90% test pressure, the pressure is released and then we recalibrate prior to the actual test.

R

For those who are not aware you should be sure whoever test your galvanized steel tank follow this procedure.

Bulleting D100-E came from Pressed Steel Tanks. The bulleting describes the hydro pre-test procedure (also known as round-out procedure) that is recommended for steel tanks.
PST is the manufacturer of many of our steel 72's tanks, but the hydro test procedure described in this bulletin applies to all galvanized steel tanks.

If you are the owner of a steel tank I think it is VERY IMPORTANT that you take a copy of this bulleting to a hydro tester when you take your tanks for hydro (and /or make sure he follows the pre-test procedure) . Perfectly good tanks have been failed during hydro testing when this procedure was not followed. The probabilities of a steel tank failing even if the pre-test procedure is not followed is low, but if that tank fails the results are final. You have no recourse, the hydro tester is required to condemn the tank.

The procedure is within the allowable DOT regulations as can be seen in the bulleting, but the hydro tester is not required to perform it as required by the manufacturer.
I am personally aware of hydro test facilities that did not follow this procedure.

I performed a safety visual inspection this week on a steel 72 tank that was manufactured on the same month and year I was born. It's still a good tank. Last passed hydro in '04. First hydro was 03/55. It looks nearly new on the outside. The inside is a little rough, but it passes visual. I'ld use it any day.

Speaking of tanks, and hydros, and tumbling, does anyone have the link to the tank that is shot with a rifle? (I'm just kidding! Dont post the link!!!!)

A hydro shop can condemn a tank by obliterating the markings or stamping it condemned, in fact they are required to (either that or put a sticker on it!) but they may not do anything that will render it usable. While you are right that a privately owned tank not transported in commerce is not required by law to be hydrotested, since the hydrotest is a DOT-regulated procedure, by bringing a tank in for one you pretty much give your consent to play by DOT rules as far as the hydrotest goes. That's why I was asking earlier in the thread who condemned the tank, the hydro shop or the dive shop - it makes a difference.

PSI-style visual inspectors do not have any legal authority to condemn a tank by stamping it or doing anything else to render it unusable unless the owner grants it to them.
I've always thought it was too bad that PSI chose to use the word condemn rather than, say, fail, since it makes it too easily for people - including unfortunately many PSI inspectors! - to confuse the condemnation a visual inspector does, which has no legal force, with the condemnation a DOT-licensed requalifier does, which does.

captain:
A tank can not be destroyed or the markings stamped over without the owners permission. The reason being private ownership of a tank does not fall under jurisdiction of DOT. If you own the tank, fill it with your own compressor and transport it in your personal vehicle it does not have to be in current hydro. You do not break any laws or regulations by doing so. DOT regulation only apply to commercial entities. They should have returned the tanks to you just as you gave them to them. I have a friend that had the same thing happened to him. The shop ended up buying him two tanks. If you would like to hear his story PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

biscuit7:
I'm aware of the pre-test and do it for every steel tank. They are filled to 90% test pressure, the pressure is released and then we recalibrate prior to the actual test.

R
You recalibrate before every steel tank? Why? How do you get anything done in a day? Do you have an automated machine? With a multi head jacket cover?

oxyhacker:
A hydro shop can condemn a tank by obliterating the markings or stamping it condemned, in fact they are required to (either that or put a sticker on it!) but they may not do anything that will render it usable.

Please don't kill me if I'm wrong here but how is a sticker legal (if it’s condemned)? It’s been a while from when I was doing hydro's, but I thought it had to be permanent so either obliterating the markings or drilling a hole in the cylinder.

Ob1Stogie:
I stopped diving for about 10 years and have recently gotten back into it. I took my three tanks in to get them hydroed (last hydro was in '92, and last VIP was in '94). My Faber 105 is fine, they condemned my two steel 72's. Both had rust pitting that did not come out in the tumble. The thing that really peeved me was that they condemned them (even crossed out the numbers with XXXXX), with out talking to me. Could they not have done an additional tumble to try to get all the rust out?

My guess is that if I had kept them current, I could have caught the rust early and had it tumbled out. Live and learn.

One more question and I'm done.
Is it just me or what? How do people get water in their tanks if filled with a low moisture content and positive pressure left in your tank after your dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom