Montgomery Al

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if there is any diving around the Montgomery area?

I have a business trip up there and need to know if I should pack my dive gear. I am betting I already know the answer, but I wanted to ask, just in case I am wrong. (It has happened before, ya' know.)

I am hearing soemthing about a couple of local lakes (Martin?) that might be worth getting wet in. Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments?

Thanks
Capt Grumby

Bluewater quarry is about 1.5 hours north of Montgomery....

If you want something different than the ocean/springs and want to dive a quarry, might be interesting....... but with gas being $4/gallon, you'd have to weigh that interest verses extra driving costs.

I'll let those who know more about Lake Martin give info on it...

Several of us dive lake Martin quite a bit. It is an interesting dive and the waters are warm now. Bottom time has no trouble reaching an hour or more on an Al80. There is a local dive shop in Montgomery, Adventure Sports 2 and you might run into the likes of Rick Murchison or Tom Smedley there. Those two have a wealth of knowledge of the lake and diving it. Maybe they will see this and jump in.

Bluewater quarry is about 1.5 hours north of Montgomery....

If you want something different than the ocean/springs and want to dive a quarry, might be interesting....... but with gas being $4/gallon, you'd have to weigh that interest verses extra driving costs.

I'll let those who know more about Lake Martin give info on it...

Isn't that where the now-infamous "Australian honeymoon diver" frequents?

I would not be available to dive until the evenings, since I will be on a business-trip. Does that exclude that site?

There's a Hooters in Montegomery now, just thought I'd throw that out there :) Dive on in.

MAt thats extra incentive for you to venture up this way.

The alabama river is there in montgomery. I have never dove it but a dive shop i frequent in birmingham, Southern Skin Divers Supply, they personally dive the river in selma, but dont do trips there.

Isn't that where the now-infamous "Australian honeymoon diver" frequents?

I would not be available to dive until the evenings, since I will be on a business-trip. Does that exclude that site?

Yes... that's the quarry where the honey moon couple dove... and the one the wife did her cert dives in and was showcased on "Nightline" during that interview..... He was charged with murder the other day, but I don't know if they have arrested him in the US and extridited him or not....

I doubt he has been frequenting the quarry since all this happened. but I don't know for sure....

that quarry is a 1.5 hour one way drive from Montgomery. I don't think they stay open at night (after work) long and not really feasable to drive up all that way for a dive there (in my opinion). their website says they close at 5pm during the week... (just checked).

Back
Top Bottom