Monterey on Saturday (3/7)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I come along? I don't have any scuba stuff but I just bought some freediving fins and a wetsuit and I'm scared of kelp so I don't want to dive alone... Soooo... can I freediving while you guys scuba? And keep an eye on me so that I don't die and stuff.

Fuzzy,

It's pretty tough to keep an eye on a freediver from the bottom ("up" is a bigger blind spot for divers than behind), and if the viz is anything less than fantastic, you can't even see the surface from depth. Also, most divers probably average between 40-60ft or deeper during their dives, which is easily in freediving range, but maybe not for the entire duration of a dive, and definitely not in easy access to the surface. I can't imagine a scuba diver being able to be a good, responsible buddy to a freediver.

Also, I'm not a freediver myself, so I don't know what standard protocol is, but do you guys often dive solo or with a buddy? I know it's highly recommended to have a buddy for North Coast abalone diving, and I'd imagine I'd want one in Monterey as well.

There's not too much kelp around this time of year (we're about a month or so out from the beginning of the season), which is good for entanglement hazards, but probably not so great for having things to see.

I'm not sure what good areas for freediving in Monterey are. My guess would be shallow, rocky sites, maybe Lovers, and perhaps Whaler's Cove in Point Lobos when the viz is good. The cove is relatively shallow, has great structure and relief, and lots of life in the nooks and crannies. I don't know if you need an advance reservation to freedive, but you do need it for scuba (and usually you need to make the reservation at least a month in advance).

I'm sure there are plenty of freediving clubs who would be happy to show you the ropes locally, I'm just not sure that hanging around a bunch of scuba divers is going to give you the company and security you need!

Freediving is one up one down just like SSI manual states... I am a novice freediver that has dove the North Coast for abalone...

We were around all freedivers and no scuba is allowed...

You need to have a buddy because if you do get entangled and theres no help you are going to die, I wouldn't gamble diving without these measures fully taken.

Never underestimate the power behind the buddy system.

Funny,

Every post I put in for the dive you folks were doing several weeks back went completely and "Poignantly" unanswered. Not even an "eh?" which is at least something.

Maybe I just can't read or all my post's were in invisible computer type?

I don't remember seeing your post either...

I swear we would never intentionally ignore another diver /new dive buddy.

I can say I and likely we all Apologize for not getting back to you!

You Must join us on April 4th.

I don't remember seeing your post either...

I swear we would never intentionally ignore another diver /new dive buddy.

I can say I and likely we all Apologize for not getting back to you!

You Must join us on April 4th.

Whats April 4th? I want in..... PLease please:idk:

Back
Top Bottom