Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breakwater must be all clear now. The parking lot is packed and divers are in the water. Saw this from web cam.

Breakwater must be all clear now. The parking lot is packed and divers are in the water. Saw this from web cam.

It's difficult to stop divers from diving Breakwater, especially on an open water class weekend.

-Adrian

Did one dive today - Beto's Reef (30ft vis), Granite Point Wall (30ft vis), Middle Reef (25ft vis), worm patch (20ft vis).

North Monastery had 15-20' of vis yesterday morning; fairly calm surge and surf-wise, temp 49F. Lover's in the early afternoon was much warmer (56F), but the vis was pretty milky (7-10').

Weight belt found at Pt Lobos yesterday 18 July, 2015. Near worm patch in about 30 feet of water. Turned into rangers at front gate. No markings, name or number on it. People please mark your gear so it will be easier to get it back to you, okey? :wink:

Fun foursome dive at Coral Street this morning.

40 feet max depth, 15-20 foot viz, 55F min temp, 71 minutes bottom time.

Calm conditions, with a building swell that lead to surge at the end of the dive, but no impact on our exit.

We entered via the small channel near the steps, surface swam toward the distant kelp bed NNE (magnetic 30) 'til that got boring & dropped in 15 to 20 feet of water. We continued on the same heading through the urchin wasteland 'til we entered the kelp. There were lots of fish waiting for us there, with the blues anxious to swim into my lights & get filmed. We tooled around in the kelp for a bit then more-or-less returned on a reciprocal heading, surfacing just off shore of the cove.

I found a fin & will post a separate thread about that.

Great dive at the Breakwater this morning.

Cliffs: Viz 5-20 improved the further we got out the wall, Temperature 53F bottom 62 or 63F surface, Max depth 47 feet, 82 minutes.

We dropped at the mark between 7 & 8 into a milky 5-10 foot viz, tooled along the bottom of the wall way out where we were joined by sea lions (and could hear them barking above). We rose to 25 to 30 feet for our return. The vis was a nice 15 to 20 feet when we turned around and there were lots of fish. We mozied back enjoying the warm surface waters and surfaced at the 7. Filmed several Lingcod, a Cabezon in a hole, lots of big surf perch and schools of blues.

Dove North Monastery this morning. 20-30ft vis plus or minus in spots. Very nice. Vis dropped off the further out you went so we stayed shallower. Swell kicked up a bit so we went for the second dive at Breakwater. Vis was 20ft bellow 25ft depth. Nice dive. Saw a Chromadurus again which was the highlight of my day. Looks like vis wants to improve. It was an awesome day. Wish I were still there.

Did 2 dives yesterday. 10-15 ft vis. at Breakwater. Saw Chromadorus nudibranchs. Looks to be getting green because of hot weather.

Fun dive at Lobos this morning.

Cliffs:

Viz: 20+
Temp: 54F
Max Depth: 61feet
Time: 43 Minutes

We had the place to ourselves when we arrived, aside from a kayak outfit offloading boats. Joined soon by a family from Switzerland. A couple of fire trucks showed up while we were gearing up, and they were doing launch & rescue drills with the zodiac when we returned from our dive.

We wound our way out through the boat channel, took a bearing on bird poop rock...er... Cannery Point and dropped to wander in the rock channels. The viz was a milky 20 foot, or better, under dark overcast skies. (We drove through quite a downpour on our way down 101.) We videoed the usual Lingcod, rockfish, etc. and turned when I reached 60feet---buddy wanted to stay shallower than 55 feet. We surfaced in the sand channel. While kicking back we came across the couple, Avidiver, who yelled to me "Look Down!". There was a harbor seal checking out my fins. Next the UCSC researchers paddled past us in their kayaks on their way to Bluefish. Finally, the Fire Department guys paused their zodiac exercises for a few minutes to let us walk up the ramp.

A pleasant morning indeed.

Back
Top Bottom