Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took advantage of the exceptionally calm conditions for 1st time diving this site in Garapata SP.
Followed description from CA diving news and the access wasn't a difficult as I expected. The main trail is wide enough and graded well enough for a little cart or dolly which was a big help getting gear to and from.

The site looked fabulous topside. The giant stride entry went smoothly and was fun. Visibility in the cove was good at about 25ft venturing farther out is decreased to about 15ft.
According to the article there is a large arch very close t the entry and I circled all the close protruding rocks attempting to find it to no avail. I did find and under cut bank that went back about 8ft and there were some nice channels cut through the rock to explore. The reef bottom was largely carpeted with palm kelp and there where sand patches between reef areas. Big Rockfish where hidden in the palm kelp but no schools of blues or lacks hanging in midwater save for a handful of juveniles.

Look forward o trying this spot again

Fun night dive at the Breakwater tonight. Computer's waiting to be rinsed so don't have exact numbers. Surface water was warm---60ish. Vis was so-so when we dropped at the 7, but improved nicely as we got further out. A harbor seal---maybe two---joined us immediately. Surface chop was a little higher than I expected from the wave model report, but not really an issue. Lots of small fish---the big 'uns were all hiding. Anchovies were following my lights during the surface swim back to shore.

About 45 minutes bottom time.

CDIP Wave Model | CeNCOOS

2 at monastery. 56F, 10 to 15 ft vis. still pretty green, but pretty calm today. ran into a few other divers that were competing in the ncups shootout. school of sardines and some lingcod, flyby from a sea lion.

Two at monolobo off the sanctuary. Vis was ok but no more then 30 feet. Pretty grey out. I hear it was better in the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 8th, 2015 at 07:35 PM ----------

Oh, had one Friday am at north monastery, 15-25 vis, pretty green with a heavy mid layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did two at Breakwater on Friday. Vis was overall really good, with some small areas that had a bit of particulate. I had like 5 sea lions shoot by, which was nice. There were also large schools of blue rock fish. Saw a few guys competing in the shoutout, and the abundance of life present probably made for some great shots. Gems were about 60 all the way down to 15' then they dropped off to about 56. I had a great time.

Anybody have any reports on Monastery?

Went to Lovers 3 this morning. Topside was beautiful and clear. Vis was a greenish 15-25 to 35fsw. Tons of anchovies. Hung out with a curious monkey face eel for a while. Lots of juvenile rockfish with lings scattered about. Water temp was a frigid 63... Should have used the wetsuit :) beautiful dive...Swell is picking up for the next few days. Dive safe!

Dove Breakwater because highway 1 to Carmel was bumper to bumper. Tons of Anchovies. It was like a night dive when they passed by. Very cool dives but lousy fish poop vis. Well worth it.

Two nice dives at Lobos today. Tripled up with RaftingTigger and a very experienced diver who showed us some new (to me) spots:

Hole In The Wall, Sea Mount, & Rock Garden:

59 minutes, 74 feet max depth, 54F min temperature. 20-30+ viz. Saw a couple of blue rockfish/jellyfish feeding frenzies, a harbor seal, big Lingcod, etc. First time out that far for me.

Coal Chute cave & Granite point wall:

60 minutes, 63 feet max depth, 53F min temp. Again 20 to 30+ foot viz. RaftingTigger and I entered the Coal Chute cave from the top and rendezvoused with our guide in the cave. We tooled around the caves for a bit, then he took us to a neat, deep section of Granite Point wall I'd never been to before. I was followed by a Canary Rockfish, and videoed a couple of Lingcod---one of which was an odd, almost lime, green. We headed out from the wall, crossed middle reef and surfaced way out in the sand channel, more-or-less where we had started our first dive.

Traffic to and from was awful 'cause of the Concourse but, on the plus side, there were a lot of really cool cars driving around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom