Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did one at Granite Point Wall at Lobos on Saturday. Gorgeous day for diving. 10' vis milky green for the top 20', but below that opened up nicely to 30' or so. A very playful harbor seal was nipping at our fins for the first 10 min of the dive, also I think I saw a decorator crab, but not sure. Also lots of big rockfish, gobies and the Ling That Ate New York. 53 deg at depth, 60s at the surface.

We surfaced a little uncomfortably close to the rocks, and it was fairly surgey, so we did an impromptu speedy crawl over the raft of kelp that rings the rocks.

Did 2 at Breakwater today. Vis was 20-25. Surprising after the fish poop vis of last week. No bait ball this time. Very calm and topside was beautiful.

Long slow dive yesterday at the Breakwater Wall w new buddy who was entranced in his photography. At first I was a bit concerned about how slow we were progressing, but it was funny how slowing things down, staying shallow and absorbing everything around me made it my best Breakwater dive ever.

I'll take the sunday drive over the diamond lane any day.

Vis 15 feet w particulates at 20-25 feet depth. Below 25 vis was pea soup.

BTW, recent kayak dives launching from Coral Street beach (easy launch point) to Eric's Pinnacle and Aumentos Reef were amazing.
If any reasonably fit and experienced divers care to kayak dive let me know, Ive got 2 kayaks set up.

Brian

Yesterday, Sanctuary took us to Butterfly house. Viz varied from 30 to 40 feet, water temp was 56 at 70 feet. Second dive was at Fire Rock. Viz there was closer to 20 feet while temp was 58.
I'm terrible at estimating swell but it was not very tall and long interval making for a nice ride.

Amazing dives this weekend. Great vis at Lobos outside the cove... in the range of 80 ft range out by twin peaks/great pinnacle. Bait fish at Lobos and BW. The thickest school I've ever seen was at Lobos today. We were cutting from Hole in the wall to Granite Point and was surprised that there was a dark wall coming out of the gloom.... but it wasn't a wall but a really thick shoal of anchovies! They were so thick that that it was dark underneath. After the dive I watched whales feeding right outside the cove.

Dove the Coal Chute Caves and north mouth of Coal Chute cove. We were trying to get to Granite Point wall, but buddy didn't have a big enough tank so we headed west/southwest and surfaced over Middle Reef. I saw a thick school of anchovies during our surface swim toward Coal Chute, also heard a whale spout and saw its spray (but not the whale itself). Was told later there were a number of whales putting on a show close to shore at Monastery.

We had a nice harbor seal encounter while surrounded by a big school of blue rockfish & I saw several male Sheephead.

The viz was at least 30 feet & the min water temperature was 57F. Max depth 54 feet, bottom time 46 minutes.

Yes, Lobos has been the place for whales. Went out to Bluefish Cove and Pinnacle on the Beachhopper yesterday. The anchovies were in a serious abundance as Ben mentioned. Here are a few pics of the day. Ive tried to upload a video of a shoal of anchovies, but it didn't upload. Any hints?

Attachments

• GOPR0541.jpg
    GOPR0541.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 73
  • GOPR0537.jpg
    GOPR0537.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 70
  • GOPR0483.jpg
    GOPR0483.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 62
  • GOPR0502.jpg
    GOPR0502.jpg