Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fun dive at the Breakwater this morning. Also saw, and attempted to film, big schools of anchovies.

It wasn't too surgy, but there were sets coming in that could surprise you if not paying attention. The viz was 10 to 15 feet. We hugged the bottom of the wall to 43 feet, then returned at 25. The viz improved at this shallower depth. Also, there was a 61F surface layer above 25 feet. (It was 53F below that.)

Saw a few Lingcod, a Cabezon, and a Cormorant swam by. There were groups of very large, and small, sea hares laying eggs.

Max depth 43 feet, bottom time 52 minutes, viz 10 to 15 feet, temperature 61F surface, 53F at depth.

Anybody have any first or even second hand info on viz in Carmel?

News this morning says Macabee is closed because of a sewage leak from El Torrito Restaurant.

-Adrian

They sure seem to have a hard time keeping their poop together in that area. This is the second spill in a couple months. Vis is bad enough already. I wouldn't eat any local catch for a while.

Au contrair, mon ami!

I did two dives at Lobos today & the vis was pretty good---40+ feet at Hole in the Wall & Lone Metridium, and 20-30 across the bay at Granite Point Wall.

The wave report shows the swell aimed right into Whaler's---it's small, but churned up some surge and sand on the east side and apparently set up a current we ended up fighting on our return swim from HITW and swimming out to GP wall. Not a big deal, but it layed down the kelp a bit and was noticeable.

I logged 49F bottom temp at HITW and 53F at GPW.

1st dive: HITW & LM, max depth 64 feet, 57 minutes, viz 40+ feet, 49F

Lone Metridium has moved a bit west---toward Bluefish---since I last visited it.

2nd dive: Granite Point Wall, max depth 58 feet, 66 minutes, viz 20-30 feet, 53F

Saw a few BIG Lings and several Canary Rockfish. Toward the end of the dive, in about 35feet of water we came across and followed a couple of lines someone deployed & never bothered to recover.

... Toward the end of the dive, in about 35feet of water we came across and followed a couple of lines someone deployed & never bothered to recover.

I wonder if those are left over from this local GUE project: Bay Area Underwater Explorers - Project Baseline.

They were out there doing proper transects and counting all kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom