Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did two dives at Breakwater today. Vis was very good at 30+. Vis got worse at depth. 58 degree water. 56 at depth. Second dive vis dropped off a bit. Beautiful day. Tons of Nudibranchs and saw one that I have never seen this far north. View attachment 212111

Not sure of the name.

Seems to be Chromodoris macfarlamdi, at least based on the photo in Behrens and Hermosillo's Eastern Pacific Nudibranches. Monterey is apparently the northern edge of their range. Cool find.

Dove lovers three this Thursday evening just before sunset. Pretty nice aside from a little surge and a lot particulates.
Easily 30+ vis in areas. We stayed pretty shallow and it was really warm. I had 58f, but it was probably more like 56.... Lots of life out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out on the Beachhopper today. Got out to Ballbuster. Viz was a beautiful blue on the surface, about 60ft.(?) At 80fsw, it was a greener 40. Flat calm, zero surge, temp at depth was 54. Beautiful dive!
Also visited Aumentos. Viz was very close to Ballbuster, bit less at depth at times. Tiny bit of surge at the top of the reef. Temp at depth was 61-57 between 30-60fsw. If you have the time, go dive! Thanks Mary Jo and Kim!

dove breakwater today. scootered around. best vis was in kelp in top 10ft of 64F water. anything past 40 ft is green :(
i assume top warm water has less oxygen that prevents growth and keeps water clear. once u hit colder water vis drops very fast.
we went to barge then to metridiums and had best time around the wall

Thanks for the report, Andrew. Now I don't feel so bad about not driving down. I saw some earlier pictures taken above the surface that showed dazzlingly clear water and just felt ill that I missed it. But that's OK...I'm on my way to San Clemente & Catalina on Wednesday.

Dove Breakwater today. 10ft vis and surgy. There was a HUGE bait ball in the shallows that was very skittish. It was hard to get video of them. Best chance was just snorkle. Had big plans to dive K dock but would have been swimming through squid juice since commercial boats were off loading. Spoke to a diver that did Monastery North and had 15 ft vis by wash rock. In close was murky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom