Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove a reef near Local's Ledge (off Cypress Point on the Carmel side) and had about 75' below 35fsw. We could see the 100' bottom at 35' and at 60-80fsw we could see the whole site. Lots of Urchins, and none of the Palm Kelp that usually blankets the site. OTOH, the whole thing was nicely encrusted with purple sponge and the barnacle invasion hasn't made it that far south.

Sunday we headed south and were planning on going well past the Point Sur lighthouse. Listening to the NOAA weather forecast, though, we decided to moderate those plans considerably. There was a forecast for some fairly stiff winds in the afternoon. So our first dive was at Allen's Arch, just past Yankee Point. It was nice--blue water and visibility of about 40'. I wish I could glow over conditions the way Larry did, but it wasn't THAT great! After lunch, we came up to outer Butterfly and had about 20' visibility. That is not far from where Larry was and we were down 90', so I'm baffled by the differing conditions.

Bruce , i bet Larry silted it all out for you :)

Did two at Breakwater yesterday. Vis was about 15 with patches of 20. Along the wall vis dropped to 10ft or less and water was brownish green as you got deeper. A diver reported 10 out near Metridium. With this hot weather coming I'm not hopeful the green will leave soon.

Two dives at breakwater yesterday. Vis was varied along the pipe, ranging from 20' down to 10 in some spots. Still some good diving, but certainly wasn't the best.

Hey Dos,

Was that you I was talking to about Metridium and the Barge in the parking lot at Breakwater around 2:00 or so?

Wandered around McAbee Beach this morning, looking for pipes & fish. Found some of each (and one Lingcod in a pipe). Viz was a green 10 to 15. Surface was dead calm. Water temp 51F.

Forgot my sync cable so no 3D video for me, d'oh! I had a regular GoPro housing and a Kodak SP360 with me, though, so shot some clips.

Max depth 32 feet, 46 minutes.

P.S. Oh, and saw a couple of sea nettles.

Last edited:
Dove Monastery (both North and South) this morning. Calm seas, easiest I've seen at Monastery. The visibility was really bad though, never > 10, more around 6-7. Went down to 115ft and it was pitch black there. I thought I was doing a night dive or was in some cave. But no, open water and sunny outside. Have never seen it like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom