Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took today off and went for a couple of dives at Lobos today.

Miserable traffic this morning made a long drive even longer.

Visibility improved the further out the cove we went. HITW around 40'

Several very large Ling cods. Checking nooks and crannys for GPO's. No luck yet!

Surfaced on the second dive to a fire truck in the parking lot. Was very happy they were just doing some drills.

There's a GPO den in the rocks between Whalers and Blue Fin, but conditions have to be perfect to find it. Hopefully there will be some of those perfect days coming soon.

Miserable traffic this morning made a long drive even longer.

This is why it'd take some heavenly conditions reports to get me down there on a weekday again! With traffic it becomes 5 hours, which is almost the same as just going diving in SoCal.

This is why it'd take some heavenly conditions reports to get me down there on a weekday again! With traffic it becomes 5 hours, which is almost the same as just going diving in SoCal.

Hmmm... Dive, work, dive, work. Decisions. decisions. For me, if I have the time available, dive wins every time regardless.

Taking 5 south, though 1/2 hour longer if considering no traffic, is pretty reliably consistent at 3.5 hours for me.

Maybe I'll try that if I go on a weekday again. I always take I-80, I-680, 101 S.

Haven't gone diving in weeks just because I get so tired of driving sometimes.

You pretty much have to be hitting the 680, 580 interchange by 6:30 at the latest. That puts you at 680, 101 interchange around 7:00.

Even then it is a crap shoot as traffic can just be worse than usual some days.

Going south on 5, you take 33, 152, 156, 101 in gilroy. The rest is the same.

Hmmm... Dive, work, dive, work. Decisions. decisions. For me, if I have the time available, dive wins every time regardless.

Taking 5 south, though 1/2 hour longer if considering no traffic, is pretty reliably consistent at 3.5 hours for me.

Two hours from SF, but it can be a bit longer due to traffic on the way back.

- Bill

20140314_111809.jpgJust finished 1st dive of the day at the breakwall. Small surf, a little surge, water temp 55 degrees, vis roughly about 15-20ft at 45fsw.

Finished our Second dive and we went to marker 13 then dropped down to 45ft and visibility was better at roughly 25-30ft. The sea lions were very playful and accompanied us for a majority of the dive.

Last edited:
View attachment 179652Just finished 1st dive of the day at the breakwall. Small surf, a little surge, water temp 55 degrees, vis roughly about 15-20ft at 45fsw.

Finished our Second dive and we went to marker 13 then dropped down to 45ft and visibility was better at roughly 25-30ft. The sea lions were very playful and accompanied us for a majority of the dive.

We had the same conditions yesterday (Friday afternoon) and had the same conditions as above, but viz was markedly lower and surge markedly higher at less than 20 foot depths. Saw a bird at 40 feet !

- Bill

We had the same conditions yesterday (Friday afternoon) and had the same conditions as above, but viz was markedly lower and surge markedly higher at less than 20 foot depths. Saw a bird at 40 feet !

- Bill

It surprised the heck out of me the first time I saw a cormorant flash by underwater, even though I knew that diving birds, um, dive. Here's a video of one swimming around for about 1/2 a minute looking for a morsel:

[video=youtube;lM7dI11wtqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7dI11wtqc[/video]

Apparently cormorants don't care about stirring up the sand and ruining the vis.

Back
Top Bottom