Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went diving on 3/1 and 3/2 at the Breakwater.

My son was scheduled to do his certification dives.

We drove down Friday evening and I was kind of expecting the dives to be cancelled when looking at the projected swell models.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the benign conditions at San Carlos beach and the dives went forward.

We had about 15 - 20' of visibility on Saturday with a small amount of surge and 20 -25' of visibility on Sunday with almost no surge.

All and all it wasa couple of very nice dives under the water while conditions were very wet at times above.

Was the water clear, or was it buzzing with particulates?

Huh? :wink:

I would say it was reasonably clear. There are always some particulates in the water.

I would not think, "buzzing with particulates" would equate to 20 - 25' of visibility.

Imagine a light snow in the fog :wink:

Was just wondering since last time I went to BW it was 20' or so of vis, but even if I could see objects 20' away it wasn't a clear view; a lot of static in between in terms of particulates. Was hoping it'd cleared up a bit.

Did two at Breakwater. 25ft vis first dive in kelp and along wall. Second dive was along Metridium pipe. Surprisingly strong current/surge for second dive. Broke of from pipe and went 150 to wall. Along the way I saw a Monkey Face. Pretty cool.

Did MacAbee yesterday afternoon and a night dive at lover's point #1.

both had vis 15-20 feet, moderate surge to 30fsw. Nice and warm/sunny topside. Cannery row was busy I was very lucky to get a spot on the street.

At Macabee in 60fsw over the sand, came across a few squid egg masses and then an actual squid in the process of depositing an egg case that my approach interrupted and it swam off egg case in tow

Two dives at Lobos today.

First dive: General heading of 330. There was talk of HITW, but we were in the rock channels west of that. Overcast, so dark, but viz was easily in the 30 to 40 foot range. Max depth 79ft, 56 minutes, 53F. Noticed a lot of lincods & a couple of nice schools of rockfish. It was a bit surgey in narrow channels but nice otherwise.

Second dive: Coal Chute Cove Cave and wandering about Whaler's vaguely in the direction of the ramp. The sun had come out, but the swell was increasing too so it was a marginal day to be visiting the cave. Viz was in the 20 to 30 foot range, though. Max depth 38ft, 53F, 72 minutes. Very surgey as the dive progressed. The tide had dropped to the point the water was just lapping the end of the ramp when we exited. Of course I had a calf cramp just as I reached for my fin straps. I was just going to flop around for a bit then try again, but my buddy was standing there & I was in his way so I gladly accepted his assistance.

I was at Lobos today as well, so it would be redundant except for this was my first dive and my buddies second. We dove 2 basic dive plans sent to me by Keith.M and both were great intros to the easy stuff.
Dive 1 was a swim out to sand channel to just between Cannery Point (parking lot point) and the Granite Point wall - dropped to about 27' fsw (low tide going out) at 1030hrs. Followed 030 to the Middle Reef and went all the way around it. Surge was prominate and was so vis was maybe 40 and ok. Occasional solo fish, like the huge Cabazon and the Sheephead. Max depth 61' for 38 min's. (Yes I'm a ASD, working on that)
Dive 2 was swim to same spot and drop at 1325hrs and follow sand channel to the left to Hole in the Wall...so yes, there is a hole in the wall. Surge was huge on second dive, its one thing to swim parallel with surge but quite another when its strong and slow and we were directly against it, out and in. Vis was poorer, "buzzing with particulates", about 30' and variable. Occasional fish, 62 fsw for, 38 min's.

Last edited:
Did two at Breakwater. Went out 3/4 of the way along pipe and vis did not improve much beyond 10ft. Did have a seal cozy up to me right when we dropped. Scratched its chest and it tilted its head back like a puppy. Second dive was along wall and was 20ft vis. Waves were somewhat big at times. Topside conditions were absolutely beautiful. Initially went to Monastery but it was beyond my tolerance level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom