Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting report, Dave. Wesley and I went out at Point Lobos on Wednesday and had much less visibility. Below 60' or so the visibility was about 20', but when we went out Middle Reef for the second dive it was less than 5'. Either one day made a very big difference for you or (more likely) you got away from the silt coming out of Whaler's Cove by going up to Butterfly House.

Hey Bruce I was out at Monastery Tuesday and from there it looked like Lobos was getting absolutely hammered. That might account for it.

This was the topside conditions yesterday. Butterfly House.View attachment 198338
That dive felt almost like looking at one of those Magic eye images, whereby after descending vis was blurry and can barely see my compass but kept going
and suddenly at one point the scenery became 3d and the whole place looked so wide and deep.

Hey Bruce I was out at Monastery Tuesday and from there it looked like Lobos was getting absolutely hammered. That might account for it.
Tuesday it probably was getting hammered! Seas calmed down a bunch by Wednesday, kept calming further during the day, and then were best when you, Dave, and Oshri went out. I would have gone on Thursday but Wesley had major plans for a turkey that day. I've learned not to argue with her on subjects like that.

I've learned not to argue with her on subjects like that.
Live to dive another day. Words to live by. My wife wanted a quiet day and said I should go diving. I'm not one to argue so I went.

We had 40+ with blue water on the needle (halfdome) today. 80-100 ft depth. A bit cloudy and horrendous surge on the exposed side of th reef and above the pinnacle.

Pouring rain when I got up this morning. Picked up my buddy and drove out from under the storm to a partially cloudy Monterey and a fun Breakwater dive. Minimal wave action made for easy entry and exit. 15 to 20 foot vis. My analog thermometer registered 60F at one point in the dive, computer logged it at 56F. Got a glimpse of a sea lion, but no other visits. Lots of small fish with a few large mixed in. Some smallish Lingcods and a few frantic Cabazon racing by. Max depth 38 feet, 64 minutes bottom time.

Monday is going to be interesting (WSW): Monday SSE wind 15 to 17 kt. A slight chance of showers. WSW swell 3 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.
I am guessing Carmel will be protected from Lobos to Butterfly house.

Had a nice dive Monday night at north monetary right before the storm got going. Vis was good 20-30 foot, though always a little hard to judge at night. We could see the moon at 20 feet down. Around 90ft it was a little more churned up with particulates.
Surface was close to lake like with a only a couple ankle biters.
https://flickr.com/photos/8859561@N08/sets/72157647237669714

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a nice dive Monday night ... Surface was close to lake like with a only a couple ankle biters. ...

You found a living starfish! I haven't seen one since last spring!

I like how rich and saturated the colors are. Nice pics.

Back
Top Bottom