Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Point Lobos Sunday 1st dive Middle reef to coal chute Vis 30' at Middle Reef and down to 20 near Coal Chute. 2nd dive Middle reef to Hole in the wall 30' vis and temp 57 down to 55 at 71'. Beautiful day, kelp thinning out and not a lot of people at opening of gate.

Dove north monetary in the O' dark stupid tuesday morning. Tide was high that You couldn't see the wash rock. About 30ft at depth. Vis actually better around 20-30ft. Lots of rock fish schooling in the kelp. All and all very nice but way to early for me :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did 3 dives today. North Monastery was pretty calm. 30-40+ vis. I agree with Griffon, vis was best in the shallower area. A lot of kelp was gone. Tons of urchins. Saw one of the biggest Lings by the canyon. Second dive was South Monastery. Vis was about the same. Stayed in the shallows. Finally saw a Hiltons Nudibranch. Third dive was Breakwater. Vis was about 30. Water was the calmest I've seen. It looked like a lake.

57 minute dive at Pt. Lobos today. Surface conditions - especially over by Bird Rock - looked UGLY with the spray off the rocks reaching 3x the height of the rocks. The cove mouth looked OK, so Ryan and I decided to give it a try. We dropped half way out in the cove and found the surface viz about 10' but the last 2' above to bottom was maybe 1' and DARK. A little further out the viz opened up to a good 15-20' and continued to improve (and a lot less surge) as we got deeper. We ended up passing HITW and then making Lone Metridium. We turned there since we didn't want to get any closer to the rock (or shallower there either). All the fish were pretty smart and hunkered in the cracks. Some big Lings out however.

On the way in Ryan noticed a good sized school of Blue Rockfish hanging at 15' so we made that our SS and floated with them as part of the school.

Last edited:
We dove North Monastery today. A little surge but not bad. Vis was 20-25. Water temp 56. Had two Seals all over us for most of the dive. They would come up to your mask and stare at you, grab your arm, fins and camera. It was a blast. We decided against a second dive here due to conditions. Did Breakwater wall. 10-12 ft vis and more surge than the first dive. Shrimp, Sea Hares and Nudibranchs. 59 degrees.

Dove Butterfly House with Mubin and Oshri. Awesome topside conditions. Calm water. 35-40+vis. Second dive Wedding Rock. 30+ vis. A Seal was all over us the whole dive. It was hard to look at anything without him reminding you of his presence. Got more aggressive as the dive went on. Doing the play biting thing. It was a lot of fun. I wonder if it was the same one from the other day. 3rd dive was Breakwater wall. Relaxing dive. 20ft vis. Quite a bit better than Tuesday.

This was the topside conditions yesterday. Butterfly House. Dive 421-423 012.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom