Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually quite a few living starfish around, especially along the Breakwall. I really miss the Sunflower stars...

Griffon - really nice photography. Thanks for sharing.

That is what I have thought. I have still seen plenty of star fish, just not any sunflower stars.

2 dives at n. monastery. 20 to 30 ft vis. water was quite warm, 61F. saw plenty of ling and rockfish. rocks at depth were covered in sea stars. topside was relatively calm, able to walk out. pretty good day for carmel.

Saturday 11/8.
1st dive of day: metridium fields, decent vis, about 4 other divers out there at 11 am. Poor vis at beginning of pipe but cleared up at metridium fields.
2nd dive: Amtrak and Sailboat on Del Monte beach. Used this map http://www.deepseasherpa.com/images/delmontedivemap.jpg
Allowed us to drop right on the Amtrak, great choice for 2nd dive of the day. Fun, lots of wild life. Large harbor seal at the sailboat, octopus nestled into a pipe in side of the sailboat, easy navigation.
I recommend that you Breakwater junkies dive this site every now and again.

Brian

Wow, how did I miss this post? That map looks very useful, thanks. I shore dove the sailboat and amtrack years ago, but there was a buoy on the sailboat back then.

On a separate note, I'm very curious to hear dive/condition reports Thursday. The Harbor wave model shows it as fairly calm in spite of a heck of a swell further out.

Dove Shale Island Saturday (12/6) and dropped right on a full grown Mola-Mola. Where is the camera when you need it? Lots to see on the shale with numerous lingcod. Surface was very calm and viz 40' or so. Next dive (on the way in) was anchored right over the Sailboat and then on to the Amtrack. Viz was still quite good. We located all the sites with a handheld GPS in a waterproof bag. Dives were off of 2 kayaks with 2 tanks in each boat.

Sunday we dove South Monastery with both of us in my new Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL. That worked well with a tank apiece. We anchored in 70' of water at the south end and enjoyed the pinnacles. Just enough surge to keep things interesting, with viz again about 40'.

No pics, as I left the camera in the car since we were experimenting with the kayaks both days.

Dove Shale Island Saturday (12/6) and dropped right on a full grown Mola-Mola. Where is the camera when you need it? Lots to see on the shale with numerous lingcod. Surface was very calm and viz 40' or so. Next dive (on the way in) was anchored right over the Sailboat and then on to the Amtrack. Viz was still quite good. We located all the sites with a handheld GPS in a waterproof bag. Dives were off of 2 kayaks with 2 tanks in each boat.

Sunday we dove South Monastery with both of us in my new Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL. That worked well with a tank apiece. We anchored in 70' of water at the south end and enjoyed the pinnacles. Just enough surge to keep things interesting, with viz again about 40'.

No pics, as I left the camera in the car since we were experimenting with the kayaks both days.
A little off topic, but I'm really curious about Kayak diving options. Can you really fit two divers comfortably on that tandem kayak?
I never thought it was possible to exchange tanks in a kayak on the water. How did that work out for you?

I am looking to start kayak diving Monterey, hoping to do similar dives.
Out of curiosity, what kayaks are you two using when separate?
Would you recommend Malibu 2xl for tandem diving with average 5'10, 165# and with small teenage son or would 2 kayaks be better/easier?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom