Monk Seal Pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heard on the radio today in the shop that 78 year old local man was arrested in connection with the death of the seals here on the island.

Good job guys I hope its your man and this crap stops.

If its him he has taken some pretty amazing critters away from us and alot of great pictures and interactions, ecspecially with I19.

Reading these past few posts has left me shaken, especially after seeing pictures of the young male, I19, buzzing divers and giving them so much joy. I can't believe he was killed. He probably thought that people were just noisy, bubble-making things that left him alone to do his monk seal thing while they did theirs...what sort of a person would do such a thing? Not to mention the pregnant female.

I'm fortunate enough to be a volunteer honu guardian on Oahu's North Shore. A few weeks ago (before I started volunteering there), a male and female monk seal came up onto the beach. They were immediately cordoned off and given 100 feet of space. I was so happy to hear that people got to see such a spectacular sight. Especially tourists, who might go their whole lives never hearing about a Hawaiian monk seal, let along seeing one. Fortunately, volunteers at Lanikea also learn a little about monk seals, so we can answer basic visitors' questions about them. I hope that the more awareness is out there, the more we can help prevent further declines in their population.

And for those utter w*nkers that murdered those beautiful, helpless animals...karma is not only a b*tch, but inevitable. You will get yours. Nothing is surer.

And for those utter w*nkers that murdered those beautiful, helpless animals...karma is not only a b*tch, but inevitable. You will get yours. Nothing is surer.

Ditto that!!!! And I hope this is thier man so this crap stops....

From my last trip to Ni'ihau

Well this kinda makes me disgusted in general.

Monk seal shooter pleads guilty

By Michael Levine - The Garden Island
Published: Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:10 AM HST
LIHU‘E — The Kaua‘i man charged with fatally shooting an endangered Hawaiian monk seal earlier this year pleaded guilty on Friday morning to violating the Endangered Species Act, and will likely face 90 days behind bars.

Charles Vidinha, 78, will also be forced to pay a special assessment of $25, according to the plea agreement that was released to the media later Friday by the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Had no plea agreement been reached and Vidinha been found guilty of the one count with which he was charged, he would have faced up to a year in prison and a $50,000 fine. His trial had been originally scheduled to begin Oct. 14.

According to the terms of the agreement — which was signed by Vidinha, Federal Defender Alexander Silvert, Vidinha’s attorney, Ronald Johnson, mayor crimes section chief, and Marshall Silverberg, assistant U.S. attorney — Vidinha admitted that he was at Pila‘a Beach on Kaua‘i’s North Shore on May 21 when he saw a Hawaiian monk seal in the shallow waters off the beach.

He used his Browning .22-caliber rifle to fire four rounds at the seal, RK06, two of which hit and killed her.

“Vidinha knew it was a Hawaiian monk seal at the time he fired his rifle at her,” the agreement states. “Vidinha subsequently destroyed the rifle that he used to commit this crime. Vidinha deeply regrets his actions and he apologizes to the entire community.”

RK06 was a female monk seal, possibly in her mid-teens, found dead on the North Shore. A necropsy revealed the seal was carrying a near term — almost ready to be birthed — male monk seal pup, according to an earlier state Department of Land and Natural Resources press release.

She previously had five pups and was reportedly an important breeding female and a huge loss for the Main Hawaiian Islands monk seal population.

In June, weeks after the deaths of both RK06 and RK19, a five-year-old male, cultural practitioners joined with representatives from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service and the Hawaiian Monk Seal Conservation to pay their respects in a memorial service at Po‘ipu Beach Park.

The Hawaiian monk seal is among the most endangered seals in the world, with only around 1,100 to 1,200 estimated remaining in the wild.

The monk seal — ‘ilio-holo-i-ka-uaua, or “the dog that runs in the rough seas” — is sometimes referred to as a “living fossil” because they have essentially remained the same for at least 13 million years, well before the arrival of human beings on the planet and even longer than the Main Hawaiian Islands, according to the Marine Conservation Biology Institute.

The monk seal’s lone predators on land here are humans.

The case resulted from an investigation conducted by NOAA, assisted by the Kaua‘i Police Department; DLNR; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

There is something crazy wrong in our country when someone shoots their own foot in a night club and gets 2 years in prison but this clown gets a $25 fine and 90 days in jail!

Parking tickets are more than $25 and this guy SHOT AND KILLED A MONK SEAL!

Is anyone else outraged?

On another note: Palau to Ban Shark Fishing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom