Monk Seal Pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha All,

This is the first thread I started
I got these at Cup coral Cathedral in Kauai Hawaii the other Day
Any body else go some good shots Post them UP:popcorn:
I have some more As soon as I resize them I will get them up.
I work a lot though :)

Scubaman7596 - We were diving in Kauai at the time of your post January 2009) and got some pics of a monk seal that look identical to these!! Weird! :wink: Those were great shots! :D

Scubaman7596 - We were diving in Kauai at the time of your post January 2009) and got some pics of a monk seal that look identical to these!! Weird! :wink: Those were great shots! :D

Thats Because you where there :rofl3:

Last edited:
Thats Because you where there :rofl3:

Kauai Diver You gotta come out and do this night dive with the monk seal It will blow your mind Did I tell you about the whale that cruised by us last month?

Kauai Diver You gotta come out and do this night dive with the monk seal It will blow your mind Did I tell you about the whale that cruised by us last month?

Hee! Hee! :eyebrow: Sorry, I had to be a :dork2:!! You told us about the whale! When are you going to post pics or vid??? That is totally awesome!! We keep checking You Tube for new vids. The monk seal shots are awesome!!!!!

Just wanted to share my monk seal photos.

MonkSeal322

DB:
Howzit gang ! DB here. I'm an Oahu Monk Seal guy, and I check this site daily for anything I can gleen in the way of Monk Seal ID's. There is in fact a reoccurring cast of characters, who roam freely. Any of you who have encounters or get shots or video, please feel free to send the info to me at dbtvhawaii@yahoo.com If there is tag information or there are visible ID markers I will glady forward the info on to the Monk Seal Hotline (NOAA).

Aloha DB,

Do you have any info on the monk seal I19?

RI19 is a young Malaulepu, Kauai male, born 8-2-04. As far as I know he has only been seen in the Kauai area, so far.

DB:
RI19 is a young Malaulepu, Kauai male, born 8-2-04. As far as I know he has only been seen in the Kauai area, so far.

Mahalo for the info. For some reason I thought the seal was a male, though I was not sure. The whole Mahaulepu and him using the lights to feed makes sense now as ALOT of locals go bug hunting there all the time. So that is a good explanation on how and why he learned to do that. I will do my best to identify the seals and fill you in on the locations where we see them. Do you Know where Cup Coral Cathedral and Hale O Honu are?
What are the current stats on how many are still around and are there poulations still decreasing?

All these encounters are making me want to really educate myself about them, They are phenominal animals!

As of 2008 the population is just under 1100 animals. The decline continues, and is a NWHI thing. As you have no doubt noticed the Main Hawaiian Islands population is increasing. Again, as of 2008 the MHI population is at 101. Kauai 34, Oahu 32, Molokai 38, Maui 6, Kahoolawe 7, Lanai 2, and the Big Island 7. 4 died last year.

My pal, Donna Festa, does a very good Monk Seal blog. I'd recommend checking out MonkSealMania.blogspot.com to get an idea of what is happening out there. You might also consider submitting stuff to Donna when you find critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom