Monk Seal Pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u have too much time on ur hands..

Hopefully you will explain yourself in future posts. This post definitely needs explaining.

u have too much time on ur hands..

Yeah Holmes what are talking about?

Hey DB,

This was posted on my youtube account this morning. Is there any truth to this????

"Unfortunately this endangered species is on the decline. This particular Hawaiian Monk Seal was found dead on the beach yesterday in Kauai. NOAA suspects that spear fishermen did this seal in because he did have a tendancy to steal fish from them. For God's sake go to MacDonald's. It's really their ocean after all, a fish isn't worth killing an endangered mammal over. Whoever did this should be horribly ashamed and your karma will forever be in jeopardy"

Sad , but true. I can't comment further. The investigation continues.

DB:
Sad , but true. I can't comment further. The investigation continues.

I will put my ears out there. Local boys LOVE to bragg about thier kills. This is disgusting:depressed:

DB,

I have some info that may help you, try to pm me or send me your email.

I heard about the Kauai seal. It is disgusting. As if the seals don't have enough survival issues without blatant hunting.

NOAA: Dead seal found on KauaÁÊ

This young Hawaiian monk seal is just napping in the sun at PoÁÊpu Beach Park on Friday afternoon, but a dead 4-year-old male of the endangered marine mammal species was removed from an undisclosed KauaÁÊ beach earlier in the week, according to authorities. Dennis Fujimoto/The Garden Island

By Dennis Fujimoto - The Garden Island
Published: Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:09 AM HST
LIHUÁ¦ A dead monk seal was removed from an undisclosed beach on KauaÁÊ on Sunday, according to David Schofield of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

ŵhe 4-year-old young male seal was identified as I-19, Schofield said. ŵhere is an ongoing biological necropsy as well as a law enforcement investigation into the cause of the sealÃÔ death.

The fact that an enforcement investigation is underway could indicate that the circumstances surrounding the sealÃÔ death are suspicious. Schofield said the seal was alive Saturday when he was seen as part of a seal count, and on Sunday, I-19 was removed from the beach dead.

Ÿe know how important the Hawaiian monk seal is to the people of KauaÁÊ, NOAA spokesperson Wende Goo said, ÅÂnd we are asking for people with information on the death of the seal to call the NOAA Office of Law Enforcement hotline at 1-800-853-1964.

The NOAA Office of Law Enforcement is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Goo said.

Monk seals have a life span of up to 30 years, although they generally live to between 20 and 25 years, according to the Defenders of Wildlife Web site.

Hawaiian monk seals are known as the most primitive of living seals. They have streamlined bodies which make them good swimmers and have flipper-like front and back limbs. They can grow to up to seven or eight feet long and can weigh up to 600 pounds.

Hawaiian monk seals are listed as ÅÆndangered under the Endangered Species Act that requires the U.S. federal government to identify species threatened with extinction, identify habitat they need to survive, and protect both.

As of 2006, there were between 1,300 and 1,400 seals occurring in the Central Pacific, with most in the uninhabited Northwestern Hawaiian Islands and a small breeding population inhabiting the main Hawaiian Islands.

Back
Top Bottom