Monel piston and nickel allergies- your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I think this is probably a complete non-issue but I'll pose the question anyway!

I am very sensitive to nickel, anything with nickel in it comes in contact with my skin will quickly result in a rash (contact dermatitis).
The top of the range Atomic titanium body first stage use a Monel piston and apparently this has a high Nickel content.

Is there any way that breathing through a first stage with high nickel content internal parts could cause a respiratory tract reaction??

Cheers
RR

You might want to have the moderators move this to Dive Medicine for more useful answers.

Good Luck

Bob

Moved.

Is there any way that breathing through a first stage with high nickel content internal parts could cause a respiratory tract reaction??CheersRR

Hey rr,

Given the absence of corrosion, abrasion or other circumstance that might cause a Monel part to throw off particulates, and this is extremely unlikely in any reasonably maintained reg of Atomic quality, there really is no way that the simple presence of a high nickel content 1st stage piston could trigger an allergic respiratory reaction.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the responses, I think DocVikingo is correct in that there would have to be some form of particulate from the Monel piston in order to cause a reaction in the respiratory tract. Taking into account the hardness, corrosion resistance and lubricity of Monel this seems unlikely in any sort of normal use so I guess it's all good. The ST1 would be my next choice but I got a good deal on a T2x so I think I'll run with it.
Thanks all
RR

Taking into account the hardness, corrosion resistance and lubricity of Monel this seems unlikely in any sort of normal use so I guess it's all good.RR

Amen, Brother 'rat.

Cheers,

DocV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom