Mom monitoring teen air supply- computer suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure do...

AERIS : Atmos ai

---------- Post added January 20th, 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Oops sorry, didn't read properly, missed the word "hoseless". No idea.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

Just had a look at their website, looks like no.

In that case, I have a rare, limited production aeris atmos elite for sale...

Another option would be to buy yourself the ai hoseless and just put the transmitter on her tank, she could keep her existing setup and you only have to buy one...

To answer your initial question, the only computer I know of that monitors a buddy's air supply is a ScubaPro Uwatec Galileo Sol at about $1250 each.

I had a Galileo Sol, with 2 transmitters, I tried using to monitor my wife's air just for S&G. It frequently lost the signal so I wouldn't trust it to monitor your child. You would probably just lose the signal and be even more paranoid.
My advice as a parent: Learn to trust your daughter, even at that age they are pretty sharp and if you both are running the same size tank you will most likely run out of air before her. It's just like when they start driving, eventually you are just going to have to let go and trust them.

Also, I wish my mom had taken me diving in Belize when I was 12, lucky girl.

The DG-03 can do the same thing if I'm not mistaken

DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

and i don't think you need to actually search for a computer that does multiple air source... just get any hoseless air integrated computer and put the transmitter on her tank, and use a standard SPG on yours, setting the computer to calculate remaining dive time based on NDL

p.s. i think it would be better either way for you to gain the confidence needed to trust that your daughter can read her gauge... additionally the more you dive the more u will be able to learn how much air she is supposed to have at a certain time... after doing over 50 dives with my wife when i ask her how much air she has its just to make sure that what i have in my mind is correct... which it usually is

A standard hoseless gauge will not work the same as the LYNX. The LYNX is designed to work to monitor another diver's gas supply at a much greater distance then a standard hoseless computer, and not effect the computer calculations of the primary diver. Some users report connection problems with hoseless computers even when in very close proximity. As already stated the LYNX also can locate another diver who is using the transmitter......or the boat....or both :wink:

Last edited:
Does aeris still make their hoseless ai computer?

NO AUP product currently shipping has this feature. The feature was removed some years ago. While current models can check multiple transmitters, The current units assume these transmitters are being used by a single diver, NOT multiple divers. The feature is used for accelerated decompression. Let me be clear, if used as suggested here, it alters the calculations for the dive. Do not use them to check another divers air. The buddy check feature, which has been removed from all AUP computers, (Oceanic, Hollis and Aeris computers) did in fact do this, but it has been several years since this feature has been available.

No, you CANNOT "do it anyway"

I know this for a fact. I have no interest in arguing this point. If you doubt it, please contact technical support at AUP. They will confirm this statement.

The feature in question is available on Liquivision models.

I have no financial interests or other stake in AUP or Liquivision

As a mother of two girls who learned to dive in their teens, I can understand your concerns. However, she is certified. She's old enough to stay at home by herself; she's old enough to babysit. Yes, ask her how much air she has. And tell her how much you have, too. When you are diving together, she needs to take care of you and you need to take care of her. Trust her training and sense of responsibility. If you this this is hard, wait until she starts driving!

I dove with my kids when they were learning to dive. You should remain in close proximity to the child during the dive. Frequently checking each others spg is all part of learning to dive. The air is not going to just disappear from her tank, without some warning..Remotely monitoring my child's air supply would be very low on my priorities... ensuring they have a redundant scuba system and know how to use it, is much more important for me.

The DG-03 can do the same thing if I'm not mistaken

DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

and i don't think you need to actually search for a computer that does multiple air source... just get any hoseless air integrated computer and put the transmitter on her tank, and use a standard SPG on yours, setting the computer to calculate remaining dive time based on NDL

I find you have to be pretty close to the transmitter with the DG-03.

You might as well just read her SPG, you'll need to be that close anyways.

i would suggest if money is an issue - any decent AI computer -- mares, suunto, aeris, oceanic, atomic.
learn to relax a bit more though... the kids is willing to show you on a regular basis. trust them on that, but check every 5-10 min until you all are used to it.. set the dive plan and make sure they follow it. the lynx is good but not cheap -- Lynx Dive Computer by Liquivision - Dive Gear Express
their buddy package (2 comp & 2 transmitters is $2398.)

Back
Top Bottom