Mold in mask-how long before it explodes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't guess a thread titled, "I'd love to see a mask explode" will get as much attention as that other well known thread.

Addressing the problem though -- How about letting the mask dry thoroughly and then just spot treating it with a Q-tip or equivalent, BRIEFLY, with a little bleach. Repeating the process tell the rot goes away.

I'm shocked that no one has yet commented on the fact that you wasted perfectly good whiskey! :wink:

I think my mask case from now on will be relegated to holding save-a-dive tidbits. Then again, maybe everything that goes in there will grow ugly mold at an accelerated pace...<obscure>if I flood it with argon will it become a time machine? </obscure>

I bored two 3/4" holes into the top and bottom of our active mask cases so they could allow drying. It takes a few days to fully dry but hasn't gotten ugly in 3 years. These are clear skirt masks and mine have the internal Rx overlays.

Pete

If you were to use the whiskey for drinking instead of as a mask cleaner, you may not care so much about the mold!

Seriously, dump something corrosive on the thing, and get on with life! If the mask explodes, then you needed a new mask anyway! :D

I'm shocked that no one has yet commented on the fact that you wasted perfectly good whiskey! :wink:

Perfectly good depends entirely on what kind of whiskey it was. :D

Perfectly good depends entirely on what kind of whiskey it was. :D

As a Scotch snob, I'd dare to say that if was spelled "Whiskey" and not "Whisky" it was no good anyway....:D

As a Scotch snob, I'd dare to say that if was spelled "Whiskey" and not "Whisky" it was no good anyway....:D

I was wondering if I'd derail the thread with that. Isle of Jura, 10-yr. A little light, not very smokey, and sadly no effect on the mold spores.

I think the bleach idea works best. I have used Listerine full strength as well. It won't bleach the fungus but seems to do a good job of killing it. I don't think it is as harmful either since it is not as strong an oxidant as bleach.

Anyway, seems the best would be bleach just make sure you soak and rinse it well enough to get all the bleach out after it does its job.

I use listerine(diluted) on booties when they get nasty and inside BCs as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom