Mold in mask-how long before it explodes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I found this topic....

Betadine (povidone iodine) is what we use for the bladders once a month. I also used that on my mask..... but now its not working.

Cressi mask with some really hard to get at seams. I can tug on the skirt and see the movement/water shift of the main seal (clear frame and skirt). I do this while submerging in betadine diluted and trying to wiggle a toothbrush in there. Its worked fine as a preventative in the past.

But it sat in the shop for 3 months w/o usage and got the black nasties in the seams. I've soaked it in the Phil version of Listerine (only needs to be diluted 1:4 its so strong) for a few days but to no avail. I finally hung it on the balcony facing the sun for 2 days and that seemed to rid some of it.

My worry is that this mouthwash is so alcohol and glycerin intensive that it might damage the skirt and seam/seal... I'm not up to snuff on those materials.

Sooooo... you peeps are saying that I can just use bleach dipping and scrubbing with a good rinsing (no standing soak) and be kosher to not jack-up my plastics? My peripheral vision is at least 3 and 9 o'clock so I purposely use clear skirts and frames. But I bought this mask on Boracay when I moved here last year----meaning it was more expensive that it should have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom