Dive Mask for petite 10 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samcraig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. We currently have a TUSA Mini Kleio mask/snorkel set for my 10 year old. A few conflicting opinions that even though it's silicon and uses tempered glass, it's a snorkel only mask and shouldn't be used for diving. Others say it's well made and can certainly handle a depth up to 40 feet (max). I err on the side of caution though... so TUSA recommended the Tina and their Kleio II mask. My daughter is doing discover scuba when we're on vacation in March (first dive, yes!). She's a petite (for her age) 10 year old. What masks should I be looking at which might be a good fit? So many masks for youths are "explicitly" for snorkeling.

Thanks for any help!

There is no differential pressure the mask must withstand when diving. So a "snorkeling mask" is perfectly OK also for deep diving, if it is comfortable for the user.
If a shop suggests something else, it is just for ripping your money.
My sons started diving at 5 years old in the sea, and at 8 y.o, after 40 or 50 dives, they were already capable of reaching a depth of 8-10 meters.
They were using "toy" masks for children (polycarbonate "glass"), with no problem, alongside one of my trusted Scubapro MK5 +R109. Only modification was a slightly smaller mouthpiece.
the real issue for switching from snorkeling to diving (either free diving or scuba diving) is the capability to pinch the nose for equalising. If the Tusa mask used by your 10 year old allow her to pinch the nose and equalise, then it is perfectly fit for the purpose.

There is no differential pressure the mask must withstand when diving. So a "snorkeling mask" is perfectly OK also for deep diving, if it is comfortable for the user.
If a shop suggests something else, it is just for ripping your money.
My sons started diving at 5 years old in the sea, and at 8 y.o, after 40 or 50 dives, they were already capable of reaching a depth of 8-10 meters.
They were using "toy" masks for children (polycarbonate "glass"), with no problem, alongside one of my trusted Scubapro MK5 +R109. Only modification was a slightly smaller mouthpiece.
the real issue for switching from snorkeling to diving (either free diving or scuba diving) is the capability to pinch the nose for equalising. If the Tusa mask used by your 10 year old allow her to pinch the nose and equalise, then it is perfectly fit for the purpose.

Thanks. A dive shop brought it up.. but TUSA gave the recommendation for a different one. Likely a legal CYA.. Appreciate your insights.

They were using "toy" masks for children (polycarbonate "glass"), with no problem,
Riffing on Angelo's note:

Arguably, polycarbonate (of good quality) is "safer" than tempered glass. Polycarbonate is what is typically used for the lens of safetyglasses, designed to be impact resistant. Tempered glass is used for the superior optical performance and scratch resistance.

I have an 11 year old petite daughter, and we found that the Aeris Mini Origin works well and is only $25 on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom