Modern Doublehose???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmossback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know this subject has been brought up before, however, I am not aware of these questions being answered:
Barring Aqualungs botched attempt at a sudo doublehose, I was wondering just how much interest and desire is there in the diving world for a modern doublehose regulator. I know several threads have touched on this here and in VDH and VDS over the past years, with all sorts of ideas for what would a modern unit be like.........

But, truely, how much interest is there? Or, is the current supply of antique's (20 years and older) that could be upgraded enough to satisfy every possible need?
Are young, new divers even interested in a modern version of this kind of regulator? And what would be an acceptable regulator and a acceptable price range?

OldMossback

I doubt "young and "modern" divers would even bother to look in a thread in the vintage forum.

I am interested in a new regulator along the lines of a Mentor or as I said in other discussions, a pilot assisted double hose that would be about the size of the Trieste but with the multiplication afforded by the pneumatic servo assist the smaller diaphram would not a liability anymore. Whatever they come up with needs to look correct, a basket of left over pieces stuck together will not do.

I doubt AL has the b---s to build a real double hose regulator. However, for the same reason that the SEAL teams apparently still train with double hose regulators, similarity to their rebreather units perhaps some day all of your guys wanting to transition to a rebreather will realize how using a double hose might be a good means of training.

My very limited experience with a rebreather found me entirely comfortable with the hoses and mouthpiece whereas my single hose "modern" compatriots were not happy campers.

N

One doesn't have to look far for design suggestions. Evolution of the single hose, although not directly applicable, can furnish some inspiration. I would look for a DH regulator of the same basic size as the Aqua-Master, especially the diaphragm, but with a compact main casting which has provision for modern IP and HP connections. Also, a change to the demand lever and poppet to allow convenient adjustment of the components. A metal mouthpiece tee or metal cart wheels would help sink the mouthpiece which has always been too floaty so to speak. Any suggestions to make the mechanism more complex and/or requiring more O rings or other small parts, or more frequent adjustment are things I would view negatively.

However, for the same reason that the SEAL teams apparently still train with double hose regulators, similarity to their rebreather units perhaps some day all of your guys wanting to transition to a rebreather will realize how using a double hose might be a good means of training.

My very limited experience with a rebreather found me entirely comfortable with the hoses and mouthpiece whereas my single hose "modern" compatriots were not happy campers.

N

Might be a question to ask in the rebreather section.

You want a modern double hoser that would appeal to the new divers? Go back to what worked. Single stage regs. The Mistral, the original, would be a good place to start. Or maybe a DX. I think it was Fred Roberts who wrote that single stage regs were for beginners because they breathed too easy. Ha, back in a day there were manly men!

Jim

I doubt "young and "modern" divers would even bother to look in a thread in the vintage forum.

N

It worked on me. I think a lot of younger divers do not have any interest in a double hose because they have never dove one. I haven't shown anyone yet that hasn't been interested in a two hoser once they actually knew what it was. Even my girlfriend likes them and she doesn't understand the difference mechanically, she just like that the bubbles exit behind her head and she thinks they look cool. Maybe we just need to get better spreading the love. I'm letting people who come to our shop try my doublehose if they want to, I'll see what kind of response I get.

You want a modern double hoser that would appeal to the new divers? Go back to what worked. Single stage regs. The Mistral, the original, would be a good place to start. Or maybe a DX. I think it was Fred Roberts who wrote that single stage regs were for beginners because they breathed too easy. Ha, back in a day there were manly men!

Jim

Jim, it's funny that you mentioned that. My chest may not be as hairy as Fred's, but the reason I bought my doublehose (a mistral) was because I heard it had a reputation for simplicity and ease of breathing. Plus, it was yellow, which I thought was nifty. I think my mistral breathes as easy as my Atomics once you get the positioning correct.

I think a lot of younger divers do not have any interest in a double hose because they have never dove one.
Spot on! I always assumed it was the 'old' way of doing things and the modern version does the same job, with a single hose. I wouldn't dive vintage just because its oldskool or different. I would dive it if there's an advantage over my regular modern gear.

Are young, new divers even interested in a modern version of this kind of regulator?

I'd say I fit into the category of diver's mentioned. I'd also fit into the category of 'relatively new divers' (ie diving just over a year).

I like the old style of diving gear because I don't like taking so much 'stuff' with me. I've never used anything except my own modern gear. I'd love to try diving without a wing one day. Anyway, this is getting a little off the topic.

Anyway, my question. I've seen photos, but what exactly can a double hose reg do that a 'modern' one can't? Does it simply allow twin tanks to flow through a single reg?
Apart from looking retro, why would I want one?

Does a moderm 'dual input' reg do this, or is it only to allow the user to decide which side the hose comes out of? I'm referring to reg's such as the Tusa RS-520, which, instead of having an adjustable flow rate, has dual hose ports.

Last edited:
I'd love to try diving without a wing one day.

Anyway, my question. I've seen photos, but what exactly can a double hose reg do that a 'modern' one can't? Does it simply allow twin tanks to flow through a single reg?
Apart from looking retro, why would I want one?

Diving without a BC is super fun. You'll also find that you will have a mastery of buoyancy and weighting to get good at it too.

A double hose regulator can do several things that a single hose reg can't. First of all, your exhaust comes out behind your head, so the overall experience of diving is more comfortable because no matter what body position you are in, there's no bubbles in your face. Secondly, the air that you breathe is not as dry as the air you breath from a single hose regulator, because your breath moisturizes the inside of your hoses. They are simple to maintain and work on as well. My mistral probably has less than 10 parts total in the whole regulator that move. I could take the whole thing apart with a phillips screwdriver. A double hose has a yoke attachment, just like your reg. Unless you dive a doubles manifold, you can't dive it any differently as far as tanks than you can dive any other regulator.

Diving vintage is also relatively inexpensive. My whole vintage setup, with a steel 72cf cylinder, a tank pac, a huge knife, full foot fins, oval mask, and double hose regulator cost me less than my Atomic regs that I do my divemaster stuff with.

If you have to question why you would want a doublehose regulator, dive one. If you still question why you would want one after you dive one, then buy a jacket BC :wink:

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that! Wow, I'm sold! No bubbles (well, not right in my face) and moist air. Sign me up!
Why did they go out of fashion? I'd definitely buy one if a modern version was released. Only thing putting me off an old one is that I'm relatively new to diving and wouldn't know where to start with 2nd hand gear.

I guess I prefer the minimalist approach rather than vinage. I'd dive vintage gear for the fact that I can take less stuff with me, not just because it's old and different. I own modern equipment myself for availability and serviceability.
In my (non-student-income) dream world I'd dive with just a backplate, tank and sounds like a double hose reg and AI wrist computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom