mmm?? Oxygen whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I_R_DIVER

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How save is it using a normal hp hose for a oxygen whip I thought of this because of the flow restriction part on it only lets trough 20 to 40 L/min. And as far as remember thats about the flow rate one wants with O2 or should I just get off my lazy ass and get a proper one.

I dont do metric very well but the 20-40 L/min sounds way to high. I shoot for 60-80 psi/min

Using a hose with a flow restrictor other than something adjustable like a needle valve will likely leave you unhappy but if you already own it and its O2 clean it should work temporarily until you buy/build something else.

Depending on exactly what you intend to do with the whip one can be built for fairly cheap. If blending with the use of a booster and pumping argon or HE your looking at some more expense but mostly because of quick disconnects.

Fittings never come cheap and getting ones rated for the appropriate pressue is sometimes difficult although mcmaster carr is a good source.

I would avoid hoses or other fittings made of ordinary steel. stick with brass preferably or stainless is also acceptable.

20-40 LPM = 50-25 minutes to fill a 10L tank to 100bar which doesnt sound all that fast to me.
But if you were filling a 2L tank then its 10 - 5 minutes.

60-80 PSI per minute would equate to about 20 minutes regardsless of tank size to get 1500 psi.

I think you probably shouldnt exceed a certain psi/bar rate per minute when transfilling O2. I dont know what that rate should be though.
The problem with a fixed orriface is you dont have any control over flow rates. This isnt a problem if its slow and you dont mind waiting.

The restrictor in an HP gauge hose may be made of brass or plastic. I don't know what kind of plastic has/is been used. Whether the hose can be attached to anything depends on whether the end fitting is compatible with an object resembling a tank valve fitting. I mean, it would have to be adapted to DIN or something else, right? Sounds impractical. BTW, the others are right, the restrictor output will vary with pressure differential and could be really slow at some point.

I'd say get the proper hose.< $50 You may get away with it a couple of times maybe even thousand of times but Your going to feel pretty stupid in your last mili second of life. ( if things go wrong)
See you topside John!

Back
Top Bottom