MK15/20/25/19 How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having used Pilot (converted), Air1, and D-Series..... I may or may not know... I am somewhat bothered if they are arriving not properly tuned though...

Have to see what I get, and re-read the discussion.
It’s some weird difference in the set up, I stopped worrying about it as far as dry testing, the one I got like yours rattles and shakes dry but in water it’s as smooth as anything but let me know if you don’t like it.

@rsingler oh fo sho...gotta dive it first :)

I am very interested in the MK19...hate to spend the $$$ after what we just did with the [now] MK25s...but...I love the idea of an environmentally sealed unit with the same hose routing as the MK25 :)

Another little follow up on the D420/Mk19 pair.
Grumble, grumble.
Couldn't be happier with the Mk19's performance. As noted above, IP spread is only 5 psi from full to empty tank, which is a great improvement over my Mk17's.

But just out of obsessiveness, I pulled the plastic cap off the environmental seal end, and...
20200825_202727.jpg

Under pressure, the environmental diaphragm was bulging, on BOTH my new 19's!
You can see how much ambient pressure would have to compress that bubble before the reg ever began to respond to depth.
20200825_202817.jpg

Clearly, the reg's QC at the factory is not up to snuff, or (please tell me no) the building technician attached the seal with the reg unpressurized.

In any case, it was a very simple fix. I pulled the cap off with a large wrench (it was not overtorqued, which was a relief). I peeled off the seal and pressurized the reg. With the transmitter disc now flush with the case, I just smoothed the seal back in place, put a little Tribolube on the cap threads and replaced it, just slightly past hand tight.

On depressurization, the seal was now concave, like it should be.
20200825_203136.jpg

A minor deal, but with two bulging seals and one freeflowing D420 in my new sets, I'm disappointed in Scubapro's quality control. If you buy a set from your LDS, make sure they do a function check before you walk out the door.

Still, two great new regulators, and I'm pleased.

One could ponder where they were assembled, and the elevation compared to where you are.....

That being said, I still agree with sloppy QA/QC and assembly....

@rsingler oh fo sho...gotta dive it first :)

I am very interested in the MK19...hate to spend the $$$ after what we just did with the [now] MK25s...but...I love the idea of an environmentally sealed unit with the same hose routing as the MK25 :)
As @rsingler already pointed out, a MK10 with the SPEC rubber boot provides exactly this: a great piston reg with a fully-sealed environmental chamber and a 5-ports swivel turret...
Regarding the MK19, it is a quite old product, being manufactured already since 2008. I really do not see why there is such an excitation about it now. It was available here in Europe since more than 12 years, but I have substantially seen no one in use in these years. It was not a big commercial success, the MK17 - MK17evo was vastly preferred due to its simplicity (and lower cost).
See here:
Has anyone tried ScubaPro's MK 19?

As @rsingler already pointed out, a MK10 with the SPEC rubber boot provides exactly this: a great piston reg with a fully-sealed environmental chamber and a 5-ports swivel turret...
Regarding the MK19, it is a quite old product, being manufactured already since 2008. I really do not see why there is such an excitation about it now. It was available here in Europe since more than 12 years, but I have substantially seen no one in use in these years. It was not a big commercial success, the MK17 - MK17evo was vastly preferred due to its simplicity (and lower cost).
See here:
Has anyone tried ScubaPro's MK 19?

The Mk19 has been always pretty rare since it was sold only in 2008 and 2009, and, as far as I understand, never in the US.
It's not just a MK17 with turret, but a quite different design.
The new MK19 EVO is quite smaller and lighter than the old MK19, flows more air (6900l/m), has a new 'Dry Chamber' with two main springs and in contrast to the old model one 'Super Flow' LP Port.
I guess that can make the guys in the US curious.........:)

...two springs, dry chamber. I guess that can make the guys in the US curious.........:)

Yes, very curious. Interested in seeing poster/picture/drawings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom