Missing divers rescued off Dwejra, Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds like they just barely made it...! :eek:

[WATCH] Armed Forces in daring rescue mission - maltatoday.com.mt
Two divers were saved by the AFM on Wednesday evening after the Gozo police informed the operations centre that a man and a woman had gone missing after having left Malta at 10:30am for a morning diving trip to Dwejra, in Gozo.
The Police raised the alarm after locating the divers' van parked at Dwejra with no diving equipment in it. The Police searched the area around the diving site from land but to no avail.
AFM rescue assets deployed within a very short time. An Aloutte III helicopter flew towards Dwejra whilst Search and Rescue boat Melita I braved the rough seas to also proceed on location. Patrol boat P32 was also put on standby at high readiness at Mgarr Harbour.
Police Officers on site informed the AFM that they could make out one individual on the edge of the inland sea area struggling to hold on to the cliffs, however, they were unable to pinpoint the exact position.
The helicopter rescue team led by Pilot S/Sgt Mark Cassar and rescuer swimmers Sgt Pepe D and Lance Bombardier Cassar P. managed to locate the two individuals despite the harsh weather conditions. They pulled the two divers to safety at approximately 1830 hrs in what was termed as a 'a very delicate air-sea operation' that involved helicopter manoeuvres close to the cliffs in winds of well over 22 knots and sea state conditions of Force 6 to 7 during low light visibility.
The male diver was rescued first and was transferred to an awaiting ambulance that took him straight to Gozo Hospital. Once the first rescue was affected, the AFM helicopter continued searching for the second missing female diver. After scouring the area once again in the limited light available, and with the helicopter now low on fuel and searching in almost pitch darkness, the rescue mission was about to be suspended when Sgt C. Psaila spotted what appeared to be the head of the diver barely visible in the waves. Once again an AFM rescue swimmer jumped into sea and managed to winch her safely onboard the helicopter and proceed directly to Gozo Hospital.
Both divers are reportedly in stable condition.
Commenting on the conduct of this operation, a senior AFM Officer praised the sheer guts and determination of the rescue team: "It is in real life situations like this, that one can really begin to appreciate the individual and team skill sets and qualities that are necessary to bring such rescue missions in perilous conditions to a successful end."

DandyDon, why do you suppose that the diving deaths get so many comments, and a wonderful rescue story such as this gets none?

Having served in helicopter rescue many, many moons ago, I know how difficult these kinds of rescues can be. I have a great deal of admiration for the crews of this rescue helicopter, and the rescue swimmers, flight engineers, pilots and yes, the crews that make these rescues possible, the helicopter maintenance personnel. A big "THANK YOU" to all involved.

Now, any ideas on how they got into this predicament?

SeaRat

I can only guess that the weather turned on them. Normally I would say it's best to stick together, but I wasn't there - so don't know how it played out. The rescue sounded impossible to me: harsh weather, hovering the chopper by a cliff to rescue the first, finding the lady with darkness approaching, rescuing her in the dark while low on fuel. Scary! :eek:

I imagine they were both rattled. Here's some more: Divers rescued in the dark - timesofmalta.com
A woman diver shed tears of joy when she was winched out of the dark, rough sea onto an Armed Forces of Malta’s helicopter on Wednesday evening.
Rescuers were about to give up on the search for the woman because the helicopter was running low on fuel as it battled the strong winds in the dark. Then, when they were about to leave, the woman’s head was spotted in the sea off Dwejra.
“An AFM rescue swimmer jumped into sea and managed to winch her safely on board the helicopter, which then proceeded directly to Gozo Hospital,” the armed forces said yesterday.
A few hours earlier officers had rescued her diving buddy.
The AFM said that, at about 5.30pm, the police in Gozo informed them that two divers – a German man and a Maltese woman – went missing during a diving trip at Dwejra.
The police located the divers’ van parked at Dwejra with no diving equipment in it. It was assumed that the two went on a dive and failed to return.
The AFM deployed a helicopter and a rescue launch while a patrol boat was put on standby at Mġarr Harbour, the AFM said.
The police spotted the man struggling to hold on to the rocks in the rough sea in Dwejra. The helicopter rescue team, led by pilot Mark Cassar, located the man who was hoisted on board.
The AFM said this was “a very delicate air-sea rescue operation” that involved helicopter manoeuvres close to the cliffs “in winds of well over 22 knots and sea conditions of force six to seven during low light visibility”.
Both divers are in a stable condition.

What an awesome rescue! Very lucky folks in those conditions. :)

Wow. Scary situation. I'm glad they are ok, and also none of the rescue team got injured or worse during the rescue.

Ok, it was a change of weather that got them in trouble, altho I don't clearly understand their plan or know what tunnel they're mentioning: ?Getting winched out, I screamed at the top of my lungs? - timesofmalta.com
There was no hint of the horror to come when Abigail Borg and Christian Heitkemper arrived at Dwejra, Gozo, at 9am last Wednesday.
Conditions at the inland sea were “extremely agreeable” and the friends enjoyed a “fabulous and interesting” dive, said Ms Borg, 31.
But as the experienced divers stopped for decompression at the opening of the tunnel on the seaward side, it was evident conditions had deteriorated drastically.
Ms Borg swam close to the bottom as she entered the tunnel.
“As the tunnel got narrower, the current got stronger. We were being thrown around, risking a collision with the rocks,” she said.
Both being familiar with the area, they left and realised nowhere was accessible for a safe exit.
You cannot let yourself think about dying

After assessing the risks, they agreed that waiting for their families at home to raise the alarm was their only safe option, she said.
They spent all day staying close to the tunnel as they knew that that was where the search would start.
“You cannot let yourself think about dying,” said Ms Borg.
“When the police appeared on the cliff edge and signalled they could see us, the relief was immense.”
Over at the Armed Forces Air Wing in Luqa, duty pilot Mark Cassar, 38, received a call for assistance shortly after 5.30pm.
Within six minutes, he was in his helicopter’s cockpit surrounded by three fully equipped team members.
“We were just about to eat chicken when we got the call,” laughed flight engineer and winch man Carmelo Psaila, 42.
Also onboard were helicopter rescue swimmers Derek Pepe, 42, and Pierre Cassar, 29.
Fifteen minutes later, they were hovering over the sea at Dwejra in murky twilight and a strong southwesterly wind.
“We were searching for a dark shadow and a strange wave in a black sea full of waves,” said Sgt Psaila.
Aided by a strong torch held by S/Sgt Pepe, more torches held on the cliffs by police and Civil Protection personnel and the helicopter’s landing light, Sgt Psaila saw Mr Heitkemper, 43, after the second turn. The winch man directed the pilot to the target about 25 metres from shore as the chopper hovered with its tail perilously close to the cliff-face.
L/Bdr Cassar admitted that he feared the motionless diver was dead until he was lowered closer.
Once safely onboard, the German diver confirmed Ms Borg was drifting some distance away.
S/Sgt Cassar managed to land the chopper in Dwejra car park and, once Mr Heitkemper was transferred to a waiting ambulance, they headed back out to find Ms Borg.
By that time, the darkness, windy conditions and low fuel supply meant they were operating at the very limits of their equipment’s capabilities, “but we were determined not to lose her,” said S/Sgt Pepe.
Eventually, just before they would have been forced to return to base, Ms Borg was seen 50 metres from where they found Mr Heitkemper.
“Getting winched out I remember screaming at the top of my lungs a great big ‘thank you!’” said Ms Borg.
“It was aimed at the helicopter, at the skies and the sea I love so much.”
After flying Ms Borg to Gozo Hospital, the fatigued crew finally returned to base just before 7pm.
All agreed it was the most dangerous operation they had been involved in. To their knowledge, it was the first sea rescue by a Maltese helicopter and crew in darkness.
After spending around nine hours in the water, the divers were kept in hospital for observation and released the next morning. “Our rescuers deserve the utmost respect and gratitude. They performed at the top of their game in extremely difficult conditions,” they said.

I actually dove with ms Borg this year and she is an amazing diver (one of those divers that doesn't breathe underwater). I believe the tunnel they are talking about starts as a closed pool. Then goes down and has an opening into the sea.

I know I responded a litle bit late but she told me about the accident this summer. No details though

Here is a map on the tunnel

http://www.malta.com/en/attraction/diving/diving-site/gozo/the-inland-sea-and-tunnel

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom