Missing Diver off of Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that you mean it in jest, but that is expressive of an attitude that I find truly unacceptable. As far as diving fatalities are concerned I operate in a zero-defect environment, and yes ... it is possible to do so.
Ok, if you ignore the medically caused deaths, then you can get losses down to avoidable. Still difficult for an Operator to control stupid and inexperienced mistakes.

I dunno Thal, perhaps it's my background in nuclear power, but I've always found in root cause analysis it's always been possible to point to specific errors that caused a critiqueable incident.

I'll defer to your years of experience, but can you please provide some examples?

Michael
Parker Turner

Ok, if you ignore the medically caused deaths, then you can get losses down to avoidable. Still difficult for an Operator to control stupid and inexperienced mistakes.
Likely impossible for an operator to control stupid and inexperienced mistakes with 11 divers, all of whom might have stupid, inexperienced or medical problems on one of the most inhospitable days in years, supervised by (at most) two staff members. I don't know what was going on on Oahu, but I scrubbed a dive here on Hawaii because the surf was way up (OK, I went surfing instead, but it was not a good day to dive), the swells were running ten foot and up on the south facing beaches and I hear it was the same on Oahu. I think it was real bad judgement to take even the most experienced divers out yesterday.

Reactions: =C=
Thanks for the link Thal!

Michael

When you guys are quoting 10' waves is that Hawaii style?

Most might not know that's a 20' wave elsewhere. Thats a big wave.

All day long we have been searching the news coming out of Hawaii on our cousin Matt, the missing diver. Many of you seem to have strong opinions as to what might or should have happened. Let me ask you all a question - could he possibility still be alive? His Mom, Dad and brother are not holding out hope, is there any?

All day long we have been searching the news coming out of Hawaii on our cousin Matt, the missing diver. Many of you seem to have strong opinions as to what might or should have happened. Let me ask you all a question - could he possibility still be alive? His Mom, Dad and brother are not holding out hope, is there any?

By all means it is a possibility as there has been no mention of recovering a body. As a member of the law enforcement community let be be the first to tell you the ocean is as vast as the land and a well skilled diver can survive if the conditions are right and the proper gear is in use.

Keep praying for him and I will do the same. May God bring him home!

k ellis - thank you for the encourgment! We are all praying that he is ok will be back home soon.

When you guys are quoting 10' waves is that Hawaii style?

Most might not know that's a 20' wave elsewhere. Thats a big wave.
That's 10' by satellite measure offshore, rather larger at the actual beach.
There's always hope but I'd be doing you a disservice if I were to say that the odds are good.
k ellis - thank you for the encourgment! We are all praying that he is ok will be back home soon.
We are all hoping for a good outcome, right along with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom