Missing diver Komodo LOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing how to use one is rendered a moot point if you're not carrying one...:rant:
There are still drivers who refuse to use seat belt!
It is personal decision at the end but I do believe most divers who had bothered to learn the skill/technique will usually carry one afterwards.
Even PADI has a course on it so hopefully more divers are aware of the usefulness of the device.
There is no excuse of NOT carrying one and SIZE does matter.

Last edited:
IMO, it shouldn't be optional.

It is literally against the law to drive without a seatbelt in many countries (to use your example)...

Why not make it mandatory to carry minimum safety equipment when diving? You can't dive without being certified...So maybe you shouldn't be allowed to dive without an smb and whistle too.

Why not make it mandatory to carry minimum safety equipment when diving? You can't dive without being certified...So maybe you shouldn't be allowed to dive without an smb and whistle too.

One can absolutely dive without being certified. I know several awesome old school divers who have never taken a course in their life. Let's keep the law out of scuba diving as soon snorkels, max depth, and ppo limits will be in place too. It is as simple as operators saying of you want to dive off our boat, you gotta bring a an SMB. Done. Easy.

One can absolutely dive without being certified. I know several awesome old school divers who have never taken a course in their life. Let's keep the law out of scuba diving as soon snorkels, max depth, and ppo limits will be in place too. It is as simple as operators saying of you want to dive off our boat, you gotta bring a an SMB. Done. Easy.
Every boat I have been on in Indonesia has required it. If you don't have one they put one in your hands. Resorts not so much.

Agree to disagree on that.

IMO, it shouldn't be optional.

It is literally against the law to drive without a seatbelt in many countries (to use your example)...

In Hong Kong it is against the law NOT to wear a seatbelt for driver as well as passenger, not to text while driving or use of mobile phone etc etc. Drink and drive is also illegal(unless within the legal limit). Littering, spitting etc etc can also get you into trouble. And did I mention jay walking? But in the real world....
Question for you: Are you allowed to dive in OZ without smb or whistle?
We don't have this law in HK so I cannot criticize other countries.

There are no laws regarding how one scuba dives in the US.

Correction- no laws about certification, equipment, or limits. There are laws concerning navigation and dive flags, fishing, transporting cylinders, etc...

But thankfully no scuba police to write fines and hold people's hands.

Last edited:
Queensland mandates carrying a snorkel, possibly smb but don't think so.

In Victoria it's not law, but if you don't have a smb between your buddy pair when diving off a boat charter, they may struggle to pick you up The currents run here!

In Hong Kong it is against the law NOT to wear a seatbelt for driver as well as passenger, not to text while driving or use of mobile phone etc etc. Drink and drive is also illegal(unless within the legal limit). Littering, spitting etc etc can also get you into trouble. And did I mention jay walking? But in the real world....
Question for you: Are you allowed to dive in OZ without smb or whistle?
We don't have this law in HK so I cannot criticize other countries.
Regulations in Australia vary by state. In Queensland it isn't explicitly an smb, but you require a high viz signalling device. You can see our requirements here:
Diving and snorkelling equipment (recreational)
Diving and snorkelling equipment (tec)

Of course people ignore these regulations all the time if diving independently and not with a commercial operator. Doesn't change the fact they exist.

And yes, the snorkel regulation...lol

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom