Missing diver Komodo LOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I went to Komodo (10-day Bali-Komodo-Bali round trip) with Mermaid I (one of the best LOB trip I did, BTW), one of the requirements in checkout dive was to launch DSMB from 15' below witnessed by DM. This is one thing that all LOB should do at the beginning of the trip.

Last edited:
As to deploying your SMB, on a recent trip to CoCos Island, two of our group were blown away from us by strong current on decent. They deployed their SMB at 15-20 feet and it went straight sideways. Never went up even an inch. When they surfaced, they used the GPS system the boat gave each diver. The signal went from them to the ranger station to the boat then to the tender immediately. They were picked up by the tender in 7 minutes from signaling despite being far away and completely out of sight. I feel horrible for the family and wish that SMBs were required for every dive no matter what and that in high current areas boats distribute GPS for the divers.

Rob

@peeweediver, for SMB deployment you need a reel with AT LEAST 150 feet of rope :)

@peeweediver, for SMB deployment you need a reel with AT LEAST 150 feet of rope :)

I'm not sure why that should be. If I were 100' down (which is the deepest I ever go), the only reason I would launch an SMB from that depth is if I had drifted off the site and was in a large and fast current, in which case the balloon should be straight up from me if we're drifting with the current.

I'm not sure why that should be. If I were 100' down (which is the deepest I ever go), the only reason I would launch an SMB from that depth is if I had drifted off the site and was in a large and fast current, in which case the balloon should be straight up from me if we're drifting with the current.
If you are 100' down and the current is strong, 150' might not be enough!!! For some reasons the SMB on the surface will usually travel faster than the diver at depth. And sometimes the top and bottom currents are going in opposition direction!!! The line will only stay directly above the diver when there is no current to mess it about.

For recreational diving I carry a 25m spool and I will add another one or two bigger one(35m) if I am tec diving.

Any diver should learn how to send an SMB at depth!

Knowing how to use one is rendered a moot point if you're not carrying one...:rant:

If you are 100' down and the current is strong, 150' might not be enough!!! For some reasons the SMB on the surface will usually travel faster than the diver at depth. And sometimes the top and bottom currents are going in opposition direction!!! The line will only stay directly above the diver when there is no current to mess it about.

For recreational diving I carry a 25m spool and I will add another one or two bigger one(35m) if I am tec diving.

@Bill, you got your answer from Centrals.

Allow me to give you another reason. You are on a wreck and there is a strong current and no upper line to a buoy. You have a nice time on this wreck at 100 feet, on one side of it, you are fully protected from the current. It is time to go: the best thing is to launch an SMB from the wreck, before you let go. Believe me, 100 feet of rope will not be enough. :cheers:

Your welcome Bill, this is the idea of a forum: to learn from other's experiences and mistakes. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom