Missing diver Komodo LOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was posted from a Singaporean
to a Facebook page Ubud Bali Community.

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpg
    IMG_3740.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 284
To those who are in the area and are able to help, here are details of her last known location and the search areas that need to be covered:

Last known location: Castle Rock at 11.30am on 13 July. She was last seen at a 2m depth.

Description: Black hair, wearing black Mares BCD size M, black long wetsuit, black and white Mares fins. No SMB or torch as far as we know.

Proposed Search Areas:

See attached image. There are Search Areas 1, 2 and 3.

We think she may have been pushed West or North West to North West Komodo. The two possible trajectories are:

1. If she was pushed North with the tide and wind, she would meet a prevailing 1 knot current that flows from the west to the east in the open ocean. OR

2. If she went down the sape straight. This path would extend to the south of Komodo and Rinca if she did not find land beforehand.

If there are any liveaboards in the West Komodo or Sangean area which can assist in the search, please let me know which search area (1, 2 or 3 as in the attached image) you can help with.

Attachments

• Search area.jpg
    Search area.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 147
Many LOBs won't allow a diver to get in the water without an SMB.
Perhaps she really did have one?
How many days can she be expected to survive floating at sea?

This story just guts me

An SMB and a whistle have been the absolute bare minimum mandatory personal signalling devices required on every single liveaboard I have ever been on anywhere in the world. While the dive manager on the boat bears some burden of responsibility for not ensuring all divers had this equipment (assuming this is true), at the end of the day, the onus is really on the divers themselves to ensure they are appropriately geared up for the diving conditions.

And Bill, you've been in Indo long enough now to know that's not how things work. This incident will be a blip on their radar and they will continue to get customers simply due to the fact that "it's cheap".

I hope they find her soon.

I personally carry in my BCD the following:
1. DSMB
2. Dive Alert (air horn)
3. Mirror
4. Small flashlight (torch)
5. PLB1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom