Missing diver Komodo LOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an update.

We're on day 6 of the search and yesterday was the last day the family got on the Helicopter to search for Rinta. Unfortunately, the search was unsuccessful yet again. Experts suggest that the funds will be better put towards search and recovery on boats and with divers from herein. A letter was written to request more assistance and after trying multiple avenues and channels, someone in the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to assist. To this effect, some assistance has only now been provided to continue the search... better late than never i guess.

The BASARNAS has kindly agreed to supply 3 additional large vessels along with private boats and divers hired by the family to continue to search near the dive site and neighboring areas from today. Reward notices have also been circulated and continue to be circulated to the neighbouring island villages and locals through various local channels.

We will all continue to pray for Rinta's return. The family would like to thank each and every one of you for your kind words and selfless assistance and support in trying to bring her home.

The funding site will be closed as the target fund for financing the helicopter search was reached. Thank u all for your generous support.

Please Donate to Help Us find Lost Diver Rinta Mukkam

We happened to dive Castle Rock a couple of hours before this incident. We dove the lower pinnacle first which had a strong current before drifting back to the main pinnacle which was more protected. It was a good but certainly an advanced dive. We dove it again a few days later still a current that threw us. One minute drifting into the lower pinnacle then being blown off of it. The second dive was not as good as the first.

Crews were seaching almost immediately as we were approached twice though already out of the general area and diving Shotgun.

We happened to dive Castle Rock a couple of hours before this incident. We dove the lower pinnacle first which had a strong current before drifting back to the main pinnacle which was more protected. It was a good but certainly an advanced dive. We dove it again a few days later still a current that threw us. One minute drifting into the lower pinnacle then being blown off of it. The second dive was not as good as the first.

Crews were seaching almost immediately as we were approached twice though already out of the general area and diving Shotgun.

When you are blown off a pinnacle, what do you do?

Seems to me that the best idea is to launch an SMB as soon as practicable (hopefully from depth!), so the pick-up crew can see what's happening (if they are a good operator they probably would already have a pretty good idea.).

- Bill

You are very right bill4sf. If there is a pinnacle, there is ALWAYS a part behind it where there is almost no current. Ideally, this is the place where one should launch a DSMB from depth before letting go in the current.

Some LOB operators seem to have a fixed schedule for dive sites, current or not. Current - go back to the site in 3 hrs - minimal/reduced current. I've dived the sites mentioned several times over the years. At least from a photo standpoint, open water sites can be a great dive, or totally not workable. If the majority of divers want to dive in a strong current, so be in, but they're taking a risk. Especially in a strong current dive, stay with your guide. Forget the photos. Ditto the 2 previous posts.

Some LOB operators seem to have a fixed schedule for dive sites, current or not. Current - go back to the site in 3 hrs - minimal/reduced current. I've dived the sites mentioned several times over the years. At least from a photo standpoint, open water sites can be a great dive, or totally not workable. If the majority of divers want to dive in a strong current, so be in, but they're taking a risk. Especially in a strong current dive, stay with your guide. Forget the photos. Ditto the 2 previous posts.

Diving Komodo Islands on a fixed schedule might be good for a LoB cruise schedule, but is less than optimal for the best and safe diving conditions. The region is best known for fast currents that are associated with schooling fish. In my experience, many divers are disappointed by their experience due to lack of fundamental dive skills in moderate currents.

On a separate topic, it seems to me that many photographers are disappointed when they find out that marco lenses are not appropriate at many of the dive sites. Perhaps this is due to advertising, or the pletera of divers that like macro overwhelm the planet. The LoBs and the dive industry have a role in managing expectations.

Bill, On our second dive we missed the drop off, and though drifting towards the lower pinnacle we were not going to hit it. Then we hit the current that blew us off. However 3 of 4 of us were able to kick down and on to the side. For the next 5 minutes or so we fought the current until we were able to get into the more sheltered area. The one person who did not make it surfaced and was picked by the dinghy.

That said we had our smaller SMB with us. In hind sight I wish we would have brought our larger ones. Our guide was deploying his. I deployed mine once on the surface.

Regarding cameras. The first dive I took mine but ended up clipping it off mid current. Not taking any pictures I left it on the boat for the second dive.

Interesting to hear about everyone's experiences at Castle Rock. Scared Silly, for your two dives at Crystal Rock, were you diving on a falling or rising tide? Also, do you know where you were on the tide cycle? Just curious? If willing, PM the name of the boat.

Missing the drop off happens. Usually, the DM realizes the issue immediately and waves for the dingy for a pickup and a delivery up current for a re-do. Best, Charlie

Last edited:
Missing the drop off happens. Usually, the DM realizes the issue immediately Nd waves for the dingy for a pickup and delivery up current for a re-do. Best, Charlie

Very right. I am 68 years of age and I dive with sometimes strong current. I NEVER swim against current, only up or down or sideways in the water column and I try to find a spot in order to hook myself with a reef hook. When you have a competent divemaster , he should drop you up current to the interesting spot. If he misses, take a mullighan or call the dive.

Castle Rock is one of the "top" diving site in Komodo. So divers want to do it and tick it off the bucket list! I suspect most operators would include it in their itinerary. Can you imagine if you went to Komodo and left without diving Castle Rock or Manta Allay? You probably felt being cheated!
Same apply to Crystal Bay in Bali.
BTW, Castle Rock can be really benign!

Any diver should learn how to send an SMB at depth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom