Missing diver Komodo LOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember clearly my first experience with surface signalling devices. It was 30 years ago in queensland. The "Mike Ball" liveboard imposed a "safety sausage" for every diver. Since then, I have AT LEAST one DSMB/mirror/wissle and lamp with me on every dive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
I remember clearly my first experience with surface signalling devices. I was 30 years ago in queensland. The "Mike Ball" liveboard imposed a "safety sausage" for every diver.
Still do. They also require every buddy pair to carry a Nautilus lifeline between them. And everyone requires a dive computer.

We might mock some of the policies, but at the end of the day, if it saves someone's life, so be it. I just stuff the snorkel in my bcd pocket and forget about it.

I remember clearly my first experience with surface signalling devices. It was 30 years ago in queensland. The "Mike Ball" liveboard imposed a "safety sausage" for every diver. Since then, I have AT LEAST one DSMB/mirror/wissle and lamp with me on every dive.

DSMB, mirror, Dive Alert, lamp + PLB1 on me.

Search for missing Singaporean diver called off: Indonesian official

The official search for missing Singaporean diver Rinta Paul Mukkam has been called off after the 10-day operation proved unsuccessful.

Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency (BASARNAS) told Channel NewsAsia on Sunday (Jul 23) that the search was “closed” on Saturday.

“The search was supposed to be seven days long, but we added three days after a request from the Mukkam family to extend the search,” BASARNAS communications official Roni Sikki said.

However, Mr Sikki said the search will resume if “signs of death” are discovered: “If her diving apparatus or anything else is found, we will reopen the search.”

DSMB, mirror, Dive Alert, lamp + PLB1 on me.

PLB1 could be an option. But since I am always diving in the far east countries - Indonesia/Philippines/MAdives, I wonder if they could be useful there. Any opinion

PLB1 could be an option. But since I am always diving in the far east countries - Indonesia/Philippines/MAdives, I wonder if they could be useful there. Any opinion

My opinion is if I'm lost at sea any where in the world, it's good to have it. I can activate it and send distress signal all the way up to the SAR satellites and let USCG or US Navy know that one of US Citizen is in trouble & need to be recued. They then can work with local SAR, like Basarnas for Indonesia to rescue me, if I'm lost in Komodo or Raja Ampat.

Here is a good thread to browse over about having PLB in Indonesia: Safety equipment - PLB?

Another interesting post by @IyaDiver about using PLB in Indonesia here: Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea with an interesting CASE TO NOTE :

"A friend of mine bought exactly the same config, 210FF + custom diver cannister.
For reason unknown, his canister leaked and short circuit took place and the 210 self powered itself and made the transmission. The best part is, the 210 was in the cannister, in a dive bag and in a dive center warehouse, which I am sure its roof is not concrete but those cheapo red clay roof common in poor country like mine.

Since his unit is also registered at NOAA, hold and behold, someone from the US Navy ( or Coast Guard ) called him on his cell. It was missed call at first , twice , as my friend was on a boat ( not diving ) so it was noisy. He noted the USA prefix and twice missed calls and this must be important he thought. So he called back and was asked if he was OK and was informed that his PLB made a distress transmission bla bla bla. DANG, only USA can afford to do that !!!"

PLB1 is pretty small anyway. With a waterproof case (I used an old camera case that is waterproof down to 40m) they are smaller than a 500ml water bottle. I put the set in my BCD waist pocket along with the other safety gears.

IMG_4371.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom