Misconceptions and Fallacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An overweighted diver underwater will only use more gas if they try to swim! Since the overwieighted divers we notice tend to be the ones trying to swim at twice the speed of anyone else, in that head up-feet down cycling motion, we see a vast difference in air consumption. An overweighted, neutrally buoyant diver will increase gas consumption the more they try to move through the water, stationary they'll use the same gas as a correctly weighted diver if all other factors are the same. If you want to try it yourself, swim a course underwater at a fixed pace and then do the same again with a liftbag and some weight slung under it, you'll be working a lot harder!

scubatexastony:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

to avoid a suit for plagiarism, can I submit that one to the training dept?

Hey, go for it . . .

. . . we all know, however, that the statement is made in jest!

the K

Temple of Doom:
However, at depth it would require even more.

Not much more. I was curious enough to actually (horrors!) do some math: to completely fill my 35 lb. lift wing at 100 fsw, I would need only about 85 psi from an AL80.

Re; Water in the wet suit keeping you warm.

del_mo:

That one falls under the "don't believe everything you read" heading. Just because it came off of a nice looking website doesn't mean it's true. A wet suit is supposed to be snug to prevent water intrusion. Semi-dry wet suits are designed to let in even less water and are therefore warmer. Since the water in the suit got in there, it can get out too, and will. If it's warm, that's your personal heat that made it so, and it will cool you down. You will have to continuously heat the new water due to the exchange. It's the insulating qualities in the bubbles trapped in the neoprene that keep you warm in a wet suit.

Nobody can hear you scream at 200ft. This is not true....once at 200ft on air I called my dive buddy up from 240ft, also on air....and I got her really close and I took my reg out of my mouth and screamed into her ear....1 minute later at the surface she told me she heard it.

BP/W's are better than regular BC's - it's really the buoyancy and skill of the wearer that counts!

JeffG:
One of my favorites Misconceptions and Fallacies

"The water that is trapped between you and your wetsuit is what keeps you warm."

My view... Exposure suits, wet or dry, don't generate heat so they can't keep you warm. Rather, they help to keep you from getting cold.

Back
Top Bottom