Minimal Possibly DIR-like Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I intend to get back into diving soon. Previously I had a Scubapro Knighthawk, which l greatly enjoyed, but I would like to move even further towards a backplate with wings. However, I'm not sure I want to -- or need to -- go all the way. The diving I plan to do, almost strictly, is shallow shore diving around FL.

So what are some good options, for freedom of movement, back inflate or BPwW style, where it's more of a minimalist approach? I'm not sure I like the crotch strap; I really want to be able to remove the setup quickly underwater (e.g. due to fishing line issues) if need be. My struggle is it's not technical diving in the traditional sense, but current, fishing line, and other issues make it not exactly sport despite me wanting to remain shallow. Any help on good bcd options is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
David

With crotch strap, if you have the front loop past the buckle, you need to get it over the buckle on the way out. That's the only difference from the basic weight belt. Or you can have it on the other side and then it'll just fall off as you undo the waist strap.

Keep the crotch strap, it's what holds the whole thing together as a unit. It will come off easily when you undo the waist strap.

OK, thanks for the information and the clarification on removing a BPwWs. So assuming I'm fine with the crotch strap now, any recommendations on rigs that are not overkill for my purposes? I don't believe I will ever be using doubles. Thanks.

Really, just a simple steel backplate and a 20-25 wing with simple harness will do. Depending on your weight requirements, a couple of pouches should do you. Simple, effective and cheap. Ensure it’s fit properly to allow ease of doffing. Some good options from Dive gear express and diverightinscuba to give you and idea of cost. Used is also an option as backplates are tough to damage.

As others have stated. Backplate, simple harness, wing. Nothing else needed. Aluminum or steel plate depending on what tanks you dive and exposure protection you use.

i have several bp/w's with 23 lbs wings for students that are fairly small, but my mares xr red devil with 17lbs wing is even more compact but would be great for about any single tank florida diving. the only thing i know of smaller but good is the aqua lung outlaw back inflate bc.

I know a lot of people who dive BP/W who will likely never do BM doubles (SM is a different thing).

No need to make it complicated. I do like a backpad on my plate to keep the bolts from digging into my exposure protection.

Great information everyone. A few more thoughts / questions on BP/W:

Since getting the right fit is so important, do internet sites allow for easy return/exchange? Related, do LDS ever carry BP/W, which of course would make it easier for the fitting process?

Like Marie mentions, I'm leaning towards a bit of padding as well.

There's just one size backplate, well maybe two if you look very hard. The rigging is adjusted to your body. That's what guaranties the fit. So no worries about fitting and exchanging.

Back
Top Bottom