Minimal Possibly DIR-like Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Showing my naivete here.

Yes, I assumed a soft harness would be more comfortable, but I actually didn't realize non of these had a hard backplate option. I assume these companies also offer solid backplate options?

Let me give a bit of insight because I went through what you're doing about 2 months ago.

Hard backplates look uncomfortable. The strap system looks like a pain in the ass. Those big screws with the wing nuts sticking out in the middle of the backplate holding the wing/single tank adapter look like they're going to stab you in the back. It's amazing how deceptive appearances here can be. After getting a bp/w and diving with it, I'm shocked how much more comfortable I find it than a normal BC. It just goes away like it isn't there. I thought long and hard about going with a softpack option like what you're looking at (I was mainly looking at the HOG system). I am glad I didn't. No need for it whatsoever.

Yes, all 3 companies you listed have hard backplate options. Frankly, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the different brands. Some quality/workmanship in the wings. From there, it's little things like is the inflator hose on the wing center mounted or off to a side, does the wing have a built in single tank adapter, etc.

I, personally, ended up with a Hollis system because that's what my LDS carried and I got a great price on it. I don't have an intention of going DIR with it, but I do have my set up configured somewhat like the DIR configuration because stuff like the d ring placement and the crotch strap work quite well. I wouldn't shy away from something DIRish simply because it seems like it's too tech heavy. Likewise, I wouldn't do something purely DIR just cause. I have the Hollis Elite II harness on mine, which is adjustable and has quick releases, but I only have one d ring on each chest strap. You'll find what works for you. That's the benefit of going this route. You get to adjust it to what is right for you and your diving.

Only the transpac is soft.
I can see the backplate now on the Halcyon system, my confusion. The IQ lite doesn't seem to have a backplate though, or is it just very well integrated? It's hard to tell from here: IQ LITE Backpack
I certainly don't like how non-adjustable the harness is. You get the d-rings where they want them, etc.

I can see the backplate now on the Halcyon system, my confusion. The IQ lite doesn't seem to have a backplate though, or is it just very well integrated? It's hard to tell from here: IQ LITE Backpack
I certainly don't like how non-adjustable the harness is. You get the d-rings where they want them, etc.

I think you are right about the IQ lite, so two soft, and the Halcyon can be SS or Al. The more I'm looking at that particular OMS, I think it's off the table.

Do folks just go with the hard backplate without any padding typically? Or do they buy pads of some sort?

That is soft too. You just need to figure out if you want DIR or not. DIR is a backplate and continuous webbed harness and a crotch strap. Anything else is not DIR. Just depends on what you want. You won't need or want any adjustment once it is fitted to you. I dive DIR gear but I am just a spearfisherman and pleasure diver. I like the simple streamlined gear setup. I started with a transpac and wanted an even more streamlined and simple setup. DIR was the way to go for me.

Minimalist Florida?

If you are in no hurry get on Eric S. list for a Freedom Plate. IMHO It is the epitome of single tank diving. Pair it with a one piece Hogarthian/DIR style harness and a VDH 18 wing. Then pickup a few of the DGE weight pockets for waist and cambands.

The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Attachments

• 01D734FD-80DC-4E04-9C97-E2726F585142.jpeg
    01D734FD-80DC-4E04-9C97-E2726F585142.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 37
So some people use a pad or a simple peice of fabric over the plate but remember that is surface mentality. Most do not. The plate is actually very comfortable in the water and to me it is also comfortable on land. I usually shuffle 10' off the back of a boat so no big deal. I have walked a couple hundred yards on the beach as well and that was fine too. If you were diving with a t-shirt then perhaps you may want a pad but I always have at least a 3mil shortie on so it doesn't matter to me.

Do folks just go with the hard backplate without any padding typically? Or do they buy pads of some sort?

There are pads available and some people like them, but I haven't seen the need. Even when diving in just a t-shirt, I don't use one. The hard backplate seems like it'd be uncomfortable. It's not.

Wow I was looking at ScubaPro options just for fun and a full BP/W rig was somewhere between 800-1000. I'm not too concerned with the money but this surprised me.

I'm currently leaning towards Halcyon Infinity or Eclipse or a custom build via Dive Rite or one of the others. And sticking with backplate for good, no softies.

Are you short? If so only Halcyon and Oxycheq currently offer a short bp. DSS did too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom