Minimal Possibly DIR-like Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The research will continue, however:

After a good bit of thought and reading, I have decided to first look at a few Dive Rite options at the LDS (I did find one that carries certain BP/W options, and this is part of the reason for the Dive Rite choice). I am not settled on the TransPlate harness vs. a basic (continuous web) harness, but we can work that out later. It appears that Dive Rite does not carry an aluminum backplate, is this correct? If so, I'm assuming this isn't a big deal if I decide to go with aluminum, as other manufacturer plates should work? I should only need a 25 or 35 lb wing for my single-tank purposes. Are the hole patterns for wings or STA pretty much standard from vendor to vendor in case I want other than Dive Rite there too?

I guess this all begs another question, how many of you stick with the same manufacturer between harness, backplate, and wings?

Thanks everyone, you are great!

Personally I like the DR system: Dive Rite TransPac XT Harness Only

It would likely be classified as 'semi'-DIR. I like the BP 'pad'. I like gear 'tweaking' and customize the living daylights out of all my gear. I tried AL...SS...and Kydex (Oxycheq) plates......these days I don't even use a plate anymore but evolved towards using an Oxycheq light-weight single tank adapter, which acts as a 'backbone' to anchor/sandwich everything together with a pair of SS bolts/washers. (I don't need the extra weight of a plate for diving, easier to meet airlines luggage weight restrictions without it, I'd rather use 'local' lead on site if needed). Nothing against DR 'wings' but I'm using Oxycheq 40 lbs 'Extreme' "armored" singles (and doubles) wings. Not a fan of 'continuous webbing', like the buckles of the DR harness instead, but I don't pretend to be a hardcore DIR/caver anyway. Been diving since 2001, many hundreds of dives in the deep blue ocean, all over the Western Hemisphere, have been custom designing/building/diving my own gear for most of that time, trust my life to my custom gear, and I know what I like and what works. (also, having a crotch strap is non-negotiable, it is a MUST HAVE!)

Mostly warm, coasts of FL. Hopefully no more than a 3 mm.

I actually like diving a steel plate in warm water with a 3 mil. Typically you'll be in salt water with an AL80 so even if you're naturally pretty negative you'll still need some extra weight to be neutral at the end of the dive. With a steel plate I need 2-4 lbs, max. I would have to carry more if I had an aluminum plate.

I actually like diving a steel plate in warm water with a 3 mil. Typically you'll be in salt water with an AL80 so even if you're naturally pretty negative you'll still need some extra weight to be neutral at the end of the dive. I would have to carry more if I had an aluminum plate.

I agree......... I am tight and sink in fresh water. So AL/freshwater, SS/saltwater.

Mostly warm, coasts of FL. Hopefully no more than a 3 mm.

Not going to do any diving at Kraken Springs locally?

I prefer my dives to be tropical, but I dive locally to work on skills and keep in practice. As such, I need to be able to adjust from a 7mm locally if going deep all the way to no wetsuit in the tropics during the summer. That's one of the reasons I'm considering the cinch system for when I eventually transition to a BP/W (which I'm currently researching as well).

Not going to do any diving at Kraken Springs locally?

I prefer my dives to be tropical, but I dive locally to work on skills and keep in practice. As such, I need to be able to adjust from a 7mm locally if going deep all the way to no wetsuit in the tropics during the summer. That's one of the reasons I'm considering the cinch system for when I eventually transition to a BP/W (which I'm currently researching as well).

That's an option. I got sick diving Lake Lanier a few years ago, so thought I would stick to pools for my training for now. But I'll check out the quarry at some point, I have done a few dives there years ago.

Is lake Lanier really polluted or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom