Mini Otter leaked and refuese to stay closed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you're not looking for alternate solutions, but the solution that works for my lexus key is a $5 dry bag. Little bag, about the size of a ziplock sandwich bag, that has 3 levels of heavy-duty ziplock seals that roll up. Never had a problem down to 91 fsw (my deepest beach dive, which is the only time I need to use it, since keys stay dry up on the boat just fine). As with any dry bag, test it empty with a piece of kleenex in it first to detect any slight leakage.

Another option, sometimes, is to find a friend who doesn't have an electronic key, and lock your keys in his car. A touch more risky, but not much.

Do a search on otter box here and you will find many reports of them leaking. I think heavy duty (think can light canister without the battery) is going to be your best bet if you simply must bring largish object down to depth and keep them bone dry. A cheaper solution may actually be flashlight without without the batteries! But any case, even a good quality one, can leak if you're not excruciatingly careful: witness the horror stories of flooded cameras in expensive cases that are DEFININTELY designed to go to depth.

I used my little otter box for probably well over 150 dives, most between 60-100' and never had a problem. I still use it occasionally but changed vehicles and now have a very good "secret" place to stash my key so don't use it as often. Perhaps mine was the exception because others posting here seem to have had problems also. I never have though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom