Mini Otter leaked and refuese to stay closed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay,

I bought 2 Otter mini (1000's ibelieve) dry boxes that are supposedly rated for taking presure and staying dry while diving. I say supposedly as the both of them leak like a sieve, and refuse to stay closed.

The worst part about thing noty staying closed is that I lost my car door key ion my last dive. Fortunately, we had a backup on shore.

Did I just happen to get the two lemmmons out there or have there been issues with these?

Storm:
Okay,

I bought 2 Otter mini (1000's ibelieve) dry boxes that are supposedly rated for taking presure and staying dry while diving. I say supposedly as the both of them leak like a sieve, and refuse to stay closed.

The worst part about thing noty staying closed is that I lost my car door key ion my last dive. Fortunately, we had a backup on shore.

Did I just happen to get the two lemmmons out there or have there been issues with these?

I had two do the same thing last year, leaked like a sieve, soaked my cash. One was a year old, the second I bought after the first one flooded. The first one flooded on a 75 ft dive, the second flooded with a max depth of 45 feet in the cenotes. I'm still looking for something small like those that won't flood.

Storm:
Okay,

Why do you need to keep a car key dry? Put it on a string and put it over your neck and inside the suit. I'm pretty sure those boxes are only rated to about 4 meters. A ziplock bag works good enough too if you sit on it and get out ALL the air. If you had the backup on shore why even take the key with you?

Firefyter:
I'm still looking for something small like those that won't flood.

Check the plumbing ilse at Home Depot. A lenght of pipe with end caps. But you need a wrench to open and close it

If that will not work OMS makes a water tight can specifically for diving that is rated to something like 300 feet. It is inteneded to hld die markers and flares for blue water open ocean diving.

My opinion is that you don't need this

ChrisA:
Why do you need to keep a car key dry?

Not trying to speak for him, but some keys are electronic, and have to stay dry. I know mine is.

ChrisA:
I'm pretty sure those boxes are only rated to about 4 meters.?

The Otter boxes we have are rated to 100 feet, per their website and literature. They sure don't hold up to it, though.

ChrisA:
A ziplock bag works good enough too if you sit on it and get out ALL the air.

Tried this after the second one flooded, still no luck.

ChrisA:
Check the plumbing ilse at Home Depot. A lenght of pipe with end caps. But you need a wrench to open and close it

Not much use if you can't open and close it easily.

ChrisA:
If that will not work OMS makes a water tight can specifically for diving that is rated to something like 300 feet. It is inteneded to hld die markers and flares for blue water open ocean diving.

That may be exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

ChrisA:
My opinion is that you don't need this

A very uninformed opinion, since you don't have a clue what I do or don't do. Thanks for nothing.

My key is built into the remote. I have to keep the whole thing dry. I bought an otter to try, but I think I will test it first.

colby:
My key is built into the remote. I have to keep the whole thing dry. I bought an otter to try, but I think I will test it first.

That makes sense.

Since those keys are very expensive to replace in case of getting wet, we came up with an idea to get around taking that in the water period. Would work for anyone who has the electronic chip in the key or remote built in key.

Simply make a spare key at the key shop and lock your other key in the car hidden out of view. The 'copy' key won't start your car since it doesn't have the electronic key, but it will still open the door in most cases, which you could then retrieve your other key. You can then use the copy key by clipping to your BC or on a string around your neck under your wetsuit.

you can get a copy key made typically for 99 cents.

Much easier than adding a bouyant otter box and risk your real key getting wet.

just an idea that might work for everyone.

ChrisA:
Why do you need to keep a car key dry? Put it on a string and put it over your neck and inside the suit. I'm pretty sure those boxes are only rated to about 4 meters. A ziplock bag works good enough too if you sit on it and get out ALL the air. If you had the backup on shore why even take the key with you?

I can think of a few things that I would like to keep dry and this little box was touted to be good to 100 feet. Well a simple 25 foot check out dive proved them wrong.

As to the back up on shore, I believe in redundancy. If some wre to find the key, then at least I have one on me.

As to what I need and don't need, not even going to go there.

The point you're missing, or trolling from, is the misconception that I wanted an opinion on where to wear my key. I was looking for real life experieince with the Otter 1000 boxes, not looking for an alternate solution....those I can find for myself thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom