Mineral deposit inside Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicky-g.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello!
I bought a Frameless Ultraclear a couple of years ago. Now all the sudden it has a mineral deposit inside the glass. Its so bad that you cannot see through the glass anymore and you cannot use it.
What am I supposed to do?

Thanks!

I am going to go out on limb here and suggest you clean it like one would any glass.

Interesting! I never cleaned inside glass. But maybe you can tell me how?

Do you mean on the lens surface inside of the mask or do you actually mean INSIDE the glass? If its just on the lens, you can clean it off like crud on any other glass surface. I seem to think Atomic advises against it, but I've use toothpaste and my electric toothbrush on the inside of my Subframe with the same Ultraclear glass and it didn't impact it in anyway. I'd recommend starting more gently though - Is the mineral salt perhaps? if so just soak it for a while and then a sponge and cleaner will likely work fine (I personally would use liquid dish detergent - use baby shampoo if you want to be ultra gentle)

You should be able to send it back to the manufacture...If they have good customer service they would want to know about it and find what the problem is to avoid a repeat.....It's also a possibility the glass/mask may be counterfeit and the company would definitely want to know........Have had that happen w/hoses, snorkels, reels, lights, clips, gloves, webbing and line........They'll try to counterfeit any thing !!!.....

Yes, it is actually inside the glass, thats why I am puzzled.... I also posted here to hopefully be in contact with the manufacturer, like the description of this forum says, but I guess Atomic has no time for that. But thanks for your replies guys!

Inside the glass would, at least to me, imply a manufacturing defect. Though it seems very odd it would take a couple years to show up. I had the impression glass was pretty inert - Is it even possible for something to "grow" inside a pane of glass?

How about posting up a photo?

If you really want to talk to Atomic, the phone is probably the best way.

From their website:
Contact Information
If you require any additional information call us Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Phone: (714) 375-1433

Yes, it is actually inside the glass, thats why I am puzzled.... I also posted here to hopefully be in contact with the manufacturer, like the description of this forum says, but I guess Atomic has no time for that. But thanks for your replies guys!

It's been two frigging days - get over yourself and call or email them directly.

Atomic is pretty good about responding to this forum but not always. I sent Ryan a PM and heard back from later that afternoon.

As for the glass, I seriously doubt the issue is inside the glass. While glass is porous the pour size is quite small. More than likely there is an issues with the coating that is on the lenses, i.e. the reflective coating. Something has probably compromised the coating. That said it is quite possible you have mineral deposit build up. Using denatured alcohol sparingly can often be used to clean coated lenses but I would I would check with AA for their reccomendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom