Might be moving to Seattle -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious:
Hello everyone!

My job might be moving me from the Texas sun to the Seattle rain - so naturally after checking cost of living changes, my main concern is HOW IS THE DIVING?

D.

Daylonious,

I moved here from Ohio nearly 2 years ago. Here are some things I learned about Washington and Washington diving:
- the water in Ohio was colder most of the year if you go below the thermocline
- wolf eels are kinda like big slimy puppies but with larger teeth
- those large round shiny off-white things on an orange background back in deep holes are not "some kind of egg."
- good tide tables including info on currents must be your Bible. (or TideTool for your Palm.)
- learn to read and use said table, and to adjust for teeny differences at each site
- and time your dives according to said adjusted table, more important at some sites than others
- the locals are wonderfully helpful in giving advice on how best to dive any particular site
- sixgill sharks are somewhat curious.........
- the book Northwest Shore Dives is a good basic resource but remember that some things at sites change occasionally
- a book on fish and invertebrate ID is nice. (what are those big shiny white egg-thingeees under that big rock again?)
- the Steamers restaurant at Titlow Beach will let you use their restrooms while wearing your damp drysuit. Never mind strange looks from the patrons.
- this Steamers also has a really nice crab cheddar chowder and the beer-battered shrimp are pretty tasty too
- its okay to wear socks and a fleece with your shorts and sandals
- the moss is really cool, but don't stand still too long.......
- Zeitgeist coffee (their Chai tea is brewed, not like the slimy stuff from Starbucks)
- Ivars: the fast food of choice
- distance between any two points is measured in units of time due to traffic variation
- it is okay to wash your car in the rain.
- it is okay to mow the lawn in the rain
- do not bother to purchase an umbrella. You won't melt.
- when referring to Mt. Rainier, it is not necessary to say "Mt. Rainier," Just say, "The Mountain."
- on days The Mountain is actually visible, we say, "The Mountain is out."

I'll think of more.....

That said - please give a holler if you want a tour. I have 4 more days of school (YAY) then am a relatively free person till autumn.

Welcome to Washington!

Speaking of good mexican food-we actually have a few joints in Seattle that fit the bill:

La Carta De Oaxaca in Ballard works well (authentic Oaxacan food as the name suggests)

Cactus over in Madison Park is more Tex-Mex and isn't that bad.

Mission in West Seattle is half decent.

And, if you ask nice, I'll draw you a map of all the good taco trucks in town.

I'm from a state a few to the south of here, like BBQ is to Texans, Mexican food is to me-one of my big concerns was finding a decent burrito in this town. Not easy, but it can be done.

Doug, have you hit Casa D's in Bellevue yet? Real Mission-style burritos. I thought I was back in San Francisco when I found the place . . .

Cactus's pork steak Adobo is to die for, and they have a great selection of beers.

We do have fabulous food of all sorts. That wasn't true in 1984, when I moved here!

Haven't gotten over to Casa D's yet-maybe after the next time I pick you up for a dive (really, the car works this time-it really, really, does). I agree on the pork adobo at Cactus, the thought of it made my mouth water and it is only 10:30 in the morning.

Food is one of the great things about Seattle, Daylonius, if you do end up moving up here, a lot of us will be happy to show you around, or at least give you a list of the places to go and get some good grub.

stardiver:
- sixgill sharks are somewhat curious.........

they like to play chicken. if you turn and run you are food. if you don't flinch they'll peel off at the last second and get a little bit excited. its best to yield to their right of way.

lundysd:
I must say though; Agua Verde (over in the U-district by Roosevelt) is pretty darn good for semi-authentic Mexican. They even use corn tortillas!

agua verde is pretty good, although -- i hate their chips, and sometimes the wait can be unbearably long. they have some really good food, though. if you like mangos and pork, i highly suggest trying the mangodilla with shredded pork some time ... yum. THE BEST mexican food, though, is at oaxaca over in ballard. there's always a line. but it's always worth the wait. (and you can go around the corner and have drinks in the bar at azteca while you're waiting. :D)

lamont:
they like to play chicken. if you turn and run you are food. if you don't flinch they'll peel off at the last second and get a little bit excited. its best to yield to their right of way.

Yes, just as we were told by the dive shop when we got fills and said we were going out where they had been seen recently.

We did see one, cruising maybe 20 ft below us, and wondered later why he did not come up to our depth and check us out. Later, on another dive at another site, we ran smack dab up against a larger one as we went around a rock on a wall. He darted off just when we saw him.

* , not liking to be sixgill food

That's the benefit of diving tri-lam, they don't like us; we taste like plastic! AHAHAH! AHAH! HA! AAaaahhhhh whew! Man....seattleites, it's gonna be hard for me to convince myself to get back on that plane next Monday to come home...although, it does seem more like desert each time I come home.....

Yeah- gotta chime in for Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard- hands down, the best Mexican food in Puget sound. I grew up in Albuquerque, so I have high standards for Mexican cuisine.

I'm going to have to try this Oaxaca place. I've been inconsolable since Sergio's in Fremont closed . . . the absolute best green salsa I've ever had in a restaurant -- sob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom