Might be moving to Seattle -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Caveman in Kent is pretty darn good too! They may be the oldest BBQ joint in the county and dee-lish.

Oh, and watch out for the wolf eels.

Good barbecue, cute lil wolf eels... sounds good to me! What *IS* the normal viz anyhoo?

D.

Do wolf eels attack? They certainly look like they could pack a mean punch...kinda like the north's version of a big moray?

Daylonious:
Good barbecue, cute lil wolf eels... sounds good to me! What *IS* the normal viz anyhoo?

D.

Do wolf eels attack? They certainly look like they could pack a mean punch...kinda like the north's version of a big moray?

They're reasonably tame. I had one come up and sit on my scooter looking for a handout last weekend. He was being a little bit pushy and getting in my face so I gently pushed him aside a little bit to get him to swim around me... If they got excited I bet they could do a lot of damage with their jaws, but they're pretty laid back...

The GPOs are also pretty cool and another large animal which could do a lot of damage, but tends to treat humans nicely. The seals are also friendly.

The 12 foot long 6-gill sharks may try to assert that you are in their territory by swimming right at you and playing chicken. Its probably wise to let them win and swim out of the area...

viz varies. 30-40' is usually pretty good, somtimes you'll get 60+ but its pretty rare, and <10' happens pretty often. usually if its <10' on the surface, though, it'll clear up a bit as you get down below 70 fsw or so (although it can be really snotty). viz is better in the winter, and gets worse when the plankton blooms come out.

water temp is 45F in the winter and 55F in the summer.

it is currently getting warmer and the viz is getting worse.

there's also lake washington and lake crescent for diving. lake crescent has some great nearly gin-clear blue water glacier-fed viz. lake washington has a bunch of wrecks in it, and has a nice thermocline in the summer for warm deco....

TSandM:
We used to have a superb barbecue place (dry barbecue) in Woodinville. It was a quirky outfit called Armadillo Barbecue. They also catered. But, alas, it closed a couple of years ago.

The Armadillo was great. I hoped that they had just relocated but it's sounding like they are gone. Alas...

Oh, BTW, TSandM congratulations on Doc Mod! SB gets better everyday.

Dave

Sasquatch:
I don't know about Seattle.

Freezing rain in the summer, orca whales eating divers, espresso sellers tugging on your sleeves downtown. What about jets? They fly up there in the sky every day!! Nobody mentions them to folks moving here from out of state.

It's pretty rough here. If nobody is going to warn you about the moss I guess it's up to me. And Sasquatch (no not me) the wild man of the woods. Try and have a decent picnic with that thing around, (him, not me).

Diving? Sure if you like diving with six gill sharks and GIANT Pacific Octopus. Did I mention the KILLER whales?

You've been warned.

I look forward to meeting you! :)

Oh, yeah! Right, I forgot.

You defenitely don't want to come here. This place is soooo depressing! Rain, moss, dark, rain, mud, more dark, more moss. We only get 2.6 days of sun a year. The diving's great.....as long as you tape your guages to your mask so you can read them. Be sure and use the duct tape rated for 37 degree salt water. We sink down and grope around the bottom, trying to find interesting things to feel. I thought I'd found a wolf-eel the other day, but it turned out to be my buddy's arm....

Another Texan coming to Seattle!? This must be some sort of a record :)

I'll be moving to Seattle later this month, and I can't wait. Lake Travis, while a great training site, doesn't offer much in the way of diving (at least not like the Sound). Once you get up there, drop me a line; we're actually trying to get a Texan-style bbq/dive going on sometime this summer, and the more Texans the better..

Yeah....teach these guys what BBQ really is...although, I'll have to go try that place... but bear in mind. Standards from my chopped beef sandwiches are high, two of the best places in austin (lundysd can back me on this, probably) are Jims?(2222 & 620) which seems to bee just like the place TsandM mentioned; and Busters BBQ on 620, now at the VFW near 71, ownedby the neighbors, run by the inlaws.

The bbq place (shack?) on the Lake side of 2222 and 620 is phenomenal -- I don't remember the name of it though. Between OW dives I used to make runs out there for 10-15 people at a time for grub. Saltlick will, however, always be the King in my book.

I must say though; Agua Verde (over in the U-district by Roosevelt) is pretty darn good for semi-authentic Mexican. They even use corn tortillas!

good Mexican, gatta go to the Alamo in San Antonio, on this side as you get into the city... the BEST tortillas I have ever had... oh, Smokey Jay's is the name of that place.. . where did I go today??, forgot the name...For the seattle folk, BBQ stands are like coffee stands up there... well, we don't stick 'em out in the parking lot, but that's how many we have. I got an early flight into Austin, but had to wait on the bags... it was good though... man, and this heat! OH! soooo nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom