Mexico passport expiration rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weeezer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does Mexico (or United Airlines) enforce a 6 month expiration rule on your passport? Going to Cozumel on Aug. 12 and just realized my passport expires in January.

Mexico does not from my UNOFFICIAL readings on Trip Advisor. United? Check their website. At one time you could enter your passport info and be told if it was OK. I have flown with 4-5 months left on mine with United. Delta may be a problem.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

If you decide that renewing it now is in your best interests, here is info on doing it quickly Passport Agencies

Thank Ron. I couldn't find anything on United's website one way or another. Other "unofficial" sites go both ways. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks from 6 months out, but I don't want to run into some over zealous United agent. The passport agency may be the safest. Running out of pages for them to stamp any way. Calling in the morning for an appointment.

That is the 100% assured response. You never know when policies might change from what I experienced a year ago.

We just ran into this situation with my daughters passport. We are flying Delta, which from my understanding enforces the six month rule. We fly out tomorrow and noticed last week that it expires in five months ( I know, should have checked when we booked!). I called our closest passport agency and the automated response was the soonest appointment available was in about a week and a half, which was not going to work. I was stressed out. My wife called and was able to actually talk to a real person and got us an appointment the next day. After getting there, I would say probably only half of the people had an appointment, the rest being walk-ins. The appointment will get you priority, but I would say it's not completely necessary. We were able to get the passport that day.

I'm pretty glad I saw this thread as reminder. I would have had EXACTLY 5 months and 28 days left on my passport when I left for Mexico. I knew it was expiring next year but honestly didn't realize it was so soon. What is the point of a 10 year expiration when I can only get 9 1/2 years out of it? hehe

Called Delta and unfortunately their generic response was that I needed 6 months.

I guess I am off to Passport Office this week for an expedited passport request. :-(

Delta is the one airline that I would not try going with less than six months left. This is no guarantee that other airlines would not prevent you from boarding.

I'm pretty glad I saw this thread as reminder. I would have had EXACTLY 5 months and 28 days left on my passport when I left for Mexico. I knew it was expiring next year but honestly didn't realize it was so soon. What is the point of a 10 year expiration when I can only get 9 1/2 years out of it? heheCalled Delta and unfortunately their generic response was that I needed 6 months. I guess I am off to Passport Office this week for an expedited passport request. :-(
The USA started requiring passports for travel back from Canada and Mexico in 2007. When this happened it created a big surge in applications and a subsequent backlog, all those passports issued will come up for renewal 10 years later. If anyone has a renewal in late 2016 or early 2017 it might be a good idea to renew a little early.

What is the point of a 10 year expiration when I can only get 9 1/2 years out of it?
Exactly...!! :mad:

I suppose the six month rule is to accommodate the travelers who visit a country for six months. Some do, and if they want to stay longer on a tourist visa - they have to do a passport run, leaving that country to one nearby, and re-enter with a new six month visa - if they still have six months left on passport.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom