Passport warnings, several...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I visited Toronto last

I visited Toronto last summer; I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I was able to go through US Customs in the Toronto airport so that my arrival back in Austin was a domestic flight.
All Air Canada flights to the US from the "big" airports work that way. YYZ has it figured out. YVR not so much.

Good reminder about checking your passport expiration date.

Might add that it is important to check if a country/Caribbean island has other requirements such as a Visa for entering their country. For short stays, an eVisa or ETA (electronic travel authority) that can be attained through a website or app, may be required along with the passport. The application process may have a small fee or none at all.

Can still travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, as long as direct flight from/to U.S., and avoid any documents other than a driver's license and maybe a birth certificate (I don't remember ever showing the certificate though.)

Edit: sorry, just realized this is the Cozumel forum, but still good info.

I visited Toronto last summer; I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I was able to go through US Customs in the Toronto airport so that my arrival back in Austin was a domestic flight.
I did US Immigration and/or Customs in Montreal once. It might have been both. All I remember for sure is standing in line when the announcement was made that President Bush (one of them) was going to speak to the agents and they all left for what seemed like an hour.
Might add that it is important to check if a country/Caribbean island has other requirements such as a Visa for entering their country. For short stays, an eVisa or ETA (electronic travel authority) that can be attained through a website or app, may be required along with the passport. The application process may have a small fee or none at all.
Yep, and now the European Union!
Edit: sorry, just realized this is the Cozumel forum, but still good info.
Yeah, I was addressing Mexican visits, but nowadays it's good to check on any destination. Rules do change.

It also depends upon flavour of the day.

Nexus is supposed to be good for Canada / US travel. On a recent trip the CBP refused to accept our Nexus cards and demanded passports.

NEXUS is for accessing fast lanes at land border crossings or kiosks for e-gates at the airport. You still need to have a passport.

"Remember to always travel with your passport and/or proof of permanent residence in case you are required to prove your citizenship or permanent residence status."

Also always make sure to keep a photo of your valid / current Passport on your phone. It probably won't be accepted as a "valid" document....... but it can really help to get everything sorted out if you have the pic.

My wife and I keep the photo's on our phones and also a printed paper copy and a copy in the Cloud.......just in case everything gets lost or stolen!

I can't imagine what it could hurt to keep a picture of your passport on your phone (but not only in the cloud, because you may not have reception where you need it).

We have never been asked for passports except for border control or when we know ahead of time they'll be needed (getting driving licenses, registering vehicles, etc.). Not once. We are, officially, required to show our residency documents upon demand but have never unexpectedly been asked to show those, either.

We leave our passports and residency documents in our safe the entire time we're on the island. We've never bothered to take them when we're on excursions to the mainland, either.

That is literally what it is. Like TSA Pre-check or Global Entry.
Nope. In YYZ Nexus gets you to a different security check. Just like the big airports in the US. No need to remove shoes, etc. You are a trusted traveller. Everyone going through that line is trusted. Last trip we did not even need to remove laptops or anything from our carry on.

In small town airports like YYF (no international flights) and YLW (no recent international flights) the Nexus line is just a short cut to the general security.

YVR seems to have the same small town mentality.

Over the last year USA passport renewal times stretched into stupid. There were many stories in the news of persons missing vacations due to multiple month wait times for passport applications and renewals. The state department tried a trial online renewal program and quickly shut it down with statements that they needed to work out the kinks and should reopen it by the end of year, never happened and no updates.
My passport expires next spring (2025) and I typically use it monthly. Recently the State department issued a press statement that they had somewhat normalized the wait times to 6 - 8 weeks. I bit the bullet and sent them my renewal application and my existing passport and settled down for the wait.
I was pleasantly surprised and received my new passport in 15 days. If you have a renewal coming up this may be a good time to get it done before the summer vacation rush.

Back
Top Bottom