Methods for Binding Nylon Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
Key is, like Uncle Pug indicated, to make sure you've got nylon thread. It's not always obvious when mail-ordering what kind of thread you're getting; and there doesn't seem to be much confidence in polyester or other types underwater.
Coats & Clark Upholstry thread is avaialable just about everywhere in the US including Wal-mart and it is 100% Nylon.

Neat

drivsea:
View attachment 30335
Besides sewing another way (not the cheapest) of joining webbing is the rivet with washers. The photo of my dive harness is three layers of webbing joined this way.

Drivsea, now that's interesting. Would you mind going into a little more detail on how it's done. I'm assuming this is all SS and attached with the use of some kind of gun. I have admitt I've never riveted anything, let alone with washers.

Come to think of it, I think I've seen some old school commercial harnesses covered with the kind of rivets in your picture.

Thanks for info.

Edit: Oh yeah, and how many layers of webbing can these babies go through?
JB

Back on the ranch when I was a kid we frequently used rivets for leather harnesses, tack etc. Solid copper rivets are available at any hardware store in various lenghts. You then flatten the rivet over a washer with either a device designed to squeeze the rivet, or with a hammer and anvil.

There are also various hollow rivet designs available in various materials. These tend to use a special punch to roll the material back over on top of the washer to secure the rivet.

One thing I would be sure to do when riveting nylon webbing is to make sure the holes are sealed by punching them with a soldering iron or a heated punch. Otherwise they wil start to unravel from the holes outward. With a rivet in soft material, the rivet needs to be very snug to prevent the material from working under the rivet which will enlarge the hole and eventually cause the riovet to fail.

In my opinion, sewing is stronger than riveting straps together and the relative ease of sewing nylon webbing versus leather makes sewing preferable. But it is also a question fo how strong do you really need it. Rivets will certainly do the job and are more practical if you do not own a sewing machine or have access to a shoe reapir shop, saddle and tack shop, etc.

Guys,

This has been a great thread. Thanks for all the input. I'm putting it all to good use.

Thank for all the posts. And hey, if you think of anything else, throw up another post.

Thanks,

JB

P.S.- I'm still looking for info on binding with glue or melting, mainly just because I see it on nylon strapes all the time (in conjuction with thread).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom