Mesa Arizona Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm going to Arizona in early March and I was wondering if there is a lake or river where scuba is allowed nearby? Preferably, a site where they rent tanks.

It's allowed anywhere here. From Mesa the nearest lake is probably Saguaro Lake. One of the LDS's here occasionally does advanced dives there but mostly they use it for certiification snorkels - not the best viz typically. And boat/jetski traffic on weekends.

Most divers here dive Lake Pleasant just north of Phoenix. Under an hour drive from Mesa(max) on the 101 freeway from Mesa to just south of Lake Pleasant.

There are no divesites in the Phoenix area busy enough to have on-site tank rentals. Two LDS's in the Mesa area that rent tanks are EL Mar and Saguaro Sports. El Mar has an affiliation with the Diver Down II - the only diveboat in this area which is on Lake Pleasant.
I believe they provide tanks as part of their divetrip.

Here's a link to Southwest Scuba, since I've used their lake descriptions. Lots of good info on their site about Arizona diving. If you did want to dive Lake Pleasant, one of the other local LDS's - Scuba Specialties does regular non-sponsored fun dives there. Including Thursday night dives at certain times of the year. They have a forum for people to meet up for dives there.

btw, I don't lake dive so I'm not the person to contact for details.

Do you need to have a float (dive-flag) to dive here?

Arizona Fish and Game require Snorklers and Divers to post a Dive Flag. I dive Lake Pleasant. Usually, if you post here as to when you're going to the Lake, others will join you. Mike

Lake Pleasant is definitely your best option in that area. Let us know when you'll be in the area. We'll probably be at the lake a couple of times in March.

dlent:
Do you need to have a float (dive-flag) to dive here?

Of course. How else would the jet skiers have any fun? :D

Cool. I'll let you guys know the exact day I'll be at Lake Pleasant as soon as I know for sure. Thanks!

I don't know if you've seen this, here's some good info on probably the best shore-site for the lake:
http://www.getbentscuba.com/scorpion_bay.php

There's a Sport's Chalet on the way to the lake. I know they sell dive gear there but am not sure on rental tanks or fills as I've never tried to rent there. Give them a call and see:
(623) 869-6593
2501 W. Happy Valley Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85027

Saguaro Sports in Mesa fills for free with a C-card if you're on that side of town, that's where I go. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom