Colorado River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All
Has anybody dove in the Colorado River recently? We're heading up to a State Park on the river just below Parker Dam in Arizona for a couple of days. I was wondering if anybody had any info on current conditions for that area. Thanks

Well, we spent a couple of days (2 nites) at the River Island State Park just below the Parker Dam. It was very beautiful and peaceful. The Park itself is located in a little steep sided bowl with cliffs on most of three sides and the Colorado River on the fourth. It was worth the trip.

The fishing sucked terrible. I was using worms and nothing bit although I saw some jumping. Maybe if I used a lure but I like bottom fishing or with a bobber.

The diving sucked even worse. Water temp was 72 degrees and viz was very good except when it was blocked. The current came in counter clockwise, split by the island in the river. I was comfortable in my 3mil wetsuit with no hood or gloves. It was the wetsuits and Horse Collar BC's first time getting wet so I decided to do some snorkeling first to get my basic trim adjusted. Also, I had my brand new first ever "dry snorkel" to try out.

I pushed off from the beach and headed into the current and outwards towards the river proper. Depth stayed at about two feet and It didn't get any deeper! Viz was great out to the sides and the front but it stopped about two feet down. When I looked closer, I saw it was all plant growth. It started on the bottom and went to two feet below the surface no matter where I went. I know the bottom was fifteen or twenty feet down there but it was all buried under weeds. I'm glad that I didn't just jump in on canned air and find myself in a jungle. The whole lagoon was full of growth.

Then to top it all off, my Wife whupped me bad at Rummy. No fish, no water to dive in and no respect but it was still a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom