Meridiano Fill Station Adding Analox Clear inline CO Monitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the monitors (still) in place at the fill station?
Some of us have wondered since the CO fatality there last month? :idk:

I have read that they were installed to sound an alarm but not shut off, so I guess they could possibly be ignored or missed if too far away.

Having inline CO monitors is the least a compressor should have, even tho many do not, but testing every tank I am going to use is my last defense - and I will regardless of where I get my gas. Actually, we never know for sure on Coz. If a compressor breaks down one place, they get tanks where they can. I was surprised that the tanks I used last August there did not come from this station, but they were all zero CO so I was happy.

Yes, but apparently nobody is able to confirm that they've been calibrated and are monitored properly.

How difficult would it be for Memo or Dave (both of Aldora) to do a follow-up inspection?

How difficult would it be for Memo or Dave (both of Aldora) to do a follow-up inspection?

Far easier than you or I. :) Maybe someone should get in touch with Dave (or Memo) and see if they'd be willing to look into this. Sounds like a good idea.

Some of us have wondered since the CO fatality there last month? :idk:

I have read that they were installed to sound an alarm but not shut off, so I guess they could possibly be ignored or missed if too far away.

Having inline CO monitors is the least a compressor should have, even tho many do not, but testing every tank I am going to use is my last defense - and I will regardless of where I get my gas. Actually, we never know for sure on Coz. If a compressor breaks down one place, they get tanks where they can. I was surprised that the tanks I used last August there did not come from this station, but they were all zero CO so I was happy.

Wow, that's nuts. Do you have a link to that?

I'd suggest that the island politics and other complications possible would strongly discourage that, much less reporting on it. Aldora is but a customer there with few controls if any, and didn't Dave say they were acquiring their own compressor. Besides, what passes inspection one day might not some weeks later, and the alarms are all to easy to miss if not personally monitored. The Analox Clear inline CO monitor is a good tool for a fill station, but no guarantee for a diver. The fact still remains: You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
Wow, that's nuts. Do you have a link to that?
To what exactly? The accident was discussed at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-tourist-dies-while-diving-cozumel-caves.html

Testing is great but it does not solve the problem. Where is the CO coming from? It seems that further separation of the air inlet and compressor exhaust (in a no-leak system) is in order.

I'd suggest that the island politics and other complications possible would strongly discourage that, much less reporting on it. Aldora is but a customer there with few controls if any, and didn't Dave say they were acquiring their own compressor. Besides, what passes inspection one day might not some weeks later, and the alarms are all to easy to miss if not personally monitored. The Analox Clear inline CO monitor is a good tool for a fill station, but no guarantee for a diver. The fact still remains: You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.

To what exactly? The accident was discussed at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-tourist-dies-while-diving-cozumel-caves.html

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Testing is great but it does not solve the problem. Where is the CO coming from? It seems that further separation of the air inlet and compressor exhaust (in a no-leak system) is in order.
My guess is that as the compressors are worked hard in the tropical climate that the compressors start burning their own lubricating oil, an all too common source of CO from electric compressors. They could have the Clear units wired to shut off the compressor if CO is detected, and there are other measures they could take to ensure better quality, but - well...

Keep testing your tanks, wherever you go. My first 5ppm reading was in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom