Meridiano Fill Station Adding Analox Clear inline CO Monitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is wrong with you people? Most of this CO stuff is really old news and the recent death of MR. Williams was clearly a heart attack. He lived part time in Cozumel and had been warned that his hear condition precluded diving. The autopsy concluded the same. We have checked every batch of Meridiano air for almost a year with our own analox portable and have seen no CO excursions.

However, given the current hysteria we will go out and audit what they are doing one more time.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

What is wrong with you people? Most of this CO stuff is really old news and the recent death of MR. Williams was clearly a heart attack. He lived part time in Cozumel and had been warned that his hear condition precluded diving. The autopsy concluded the same. We have checked every batch of Meridiano air for almost a year with our own analox portable and have seen no CO excursions.

However, given the current hysteria we will go out and audit what they are doing one more time.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Umm... the guy who died in the cave died from CO, right? When you can potentially die from something that is tasteless and odorless and others have died from it, it's smart to be cautious. Remember, you only have to be wrong once.. and there's no coming back from that mistake. I don't see the harm in testing your own tank. I'm not paranoid, but I'm going to be cautious with my life, if you choose not to, then that's your deal.

As best I know NO ONE has died from CO in Cozumel. An old story, about a year ago, several divers got "sick" from bad air from Dive Palancar who had been filling their own tanks. Yes, I see the wisdom of checking air quality or having great confidence in your air supplier and I personally have done a LOT to make sure that is the case.

What has happened to this thread is near paranoia and causing many people to reconsider coming to Cozumel to dive--while I am completely convinced, from lots of experience around the world, that Cozumel is perhaps the world's safest dive location from just about any perspective.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave,

You know my stance on people being paranoid of diving in Cozumel... It is one of the safest and most diver friendly destinations in this part of the world, if not anyplace..
This probably is not the thread where CO discussions should be taking place, however myself and others obviously have strong opinions about air testing any time you dive now - not just in Cozumel. I think Cozumel is as safe as any place to get a fill.. Probably even safer at Meridiano at this point..

As best I know NO ONE has died from CO in Cozumel.
Are you not aware of the recent cave diver death there? It was confirmed (as much as things can be there) that he died of CO poisoning and his tank was filled at Meridiano - but a CO analyzer could not be found on the island to test the air. The call was made from the autopsy. see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-tourist-dies-while-diving-cozumel-caves.html

I wondered if you were asked about using your portable CO analyzer? Coz needs a government diving agency with the ability and authority to check all gear after accidents, including competent CO testing. I suppose the police cover this need as much as they can, but need to do more.

I agree that Cozumel is as safe of a dive destination as any, safer than most, but all untested tanks are risky. Hopefully someday the agencies and training dive shops will accept this and start teaching divers to buy an analyzer before considering any other gear purchase. I like owning, servicing, and knowing all of my own gear and I'll pay the airline penalties to get it wherever I dive, but - CO analyzers remain the one piece of gear one usually cannot find on a trip, while the rest can be rented.

Coz needs a government diving agency with the ability and authority to check all gear after accidents, including competent CO testing. I suppose the police cover this need as much as they can, but need to do more.

REALLY? Pretty soon it wont be Mexico....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom